Is there any help for young autistic adults living alone

Hi

My son is leaving university this summer and wants to stay in the city where the university is, and doesn't particularly want to move back home.

He has had mentors and a helpful 'team' to go to, and extra help funded by his student finance and DLA, but that will all stop of course. Is there anything or any mentoring type of system for adults, some go to place if he gets into bother like filling in forms or health issues in the great 'out there'? At the moment he doesn't have a job to go to, so he may well have to come home, but at 24 he wants to be as independent as possible. Is there assistance for young adults?

Parents
  • when i left uni at 23, first place i went was jobcentre plus to see a disability employment advisor, back when they still had them, but it depends on the area whether or not there are DEA staff still working at the jobcentre. in my one they stopped hiring because cuts to services etc. back when I was signing on JSA, autism or hfa to be more specific on its own was and still is not enough to satisfy criteria for PIP or ESA, i was recommended to an agency like remploy, did a course with them for 6 months then was released out into the wild as it were. I think the jobcentre slowly realised I couldn't fit in anywhere, that charity work suited me best because I wasn't on anyones payroll or responsibility because socially i'm non-existent, and the longer i spend out of real work, the less my chances of getting a paid job.

• when i left uni at 23, first place i went was jobcentre plus to see a disability employment advisor, back when they still had them, but it depends on the area whether or not there are DEA staff still working at the jobcentre. in my one they stopped hiring because cuts to services etc. back when I was signing on JSA, autism or hfa to be more specific on its own was and still is not enough to satisfy criteria for PIP or ESA, i was recommended to an agency like remploy, did a course with them for 6 months then was released out into the wild as it were. I think the jobcentre slowly realised I couldn't fit in anywhere, that charity work suited me best because I wasn't on anyones payroll or responsibility because socially i'm non-existent, and the longer i spend out of real work, the less my chances of getting a paid job.

Children
No Data