What’s the benefit of diagnosis?

One of my 12 year old twins displays some behaviours that I would associate with being on the spectrum ( not severe ). He is academically doing really well across all subjects however my main concerns are around limitations in social skills , particularly as he moves to high school in September. 

My dilemma is whether getting a diagnosis is of any benefit to my son or whether , conversely, it might re enforce any feelings he has of being different to peers and add to his isolation.? If academically he is doing well,what benefits would an assessment and diagnosis bring ? Trying to balance against numerous on line articles referring to teenage mental health issues is undiagnosed condition. 

Any advice really gratefully received. Thank you 

Parents
  • Hi.  My son in is year 5, diagnosed 7 weeks ago.  Aspergers.  Am I glad we got the diagnosis? yes.  Is he coping with it well?  not sure.  sometimes good, sometimes bad, he doesn't want a 'syndrome' he says.  The benefit is we can now try and get an EHCP and get him specific support and help and people can understand his behaviour.  At the moment the diagnosis is helping me, but not him...yet

• Hi.  My son in is year 5, diagnosed 7 weeks ago.  Aspergers.  Am I glad we got the diagnosis? yes.  Is he coping with it well?  not sure.  sometimes good, sometimes bad, he doesn't want a 'syndrome' he says.  The benefit is we can now try and get an EHCP and get him specific support and help and people can understand his behaviour.  At the moment the diagnosis is helping me, but not him...yet

Children
No Data