6 year old and baby bottle. help!

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I have posted in the wrong section.

I have a 6-year-old daughter with autism. She is non-verbal, not toilet trained and suffers anxiety. 

Among the million worries I have for her is her addiction to her baby bottle. She will only drink milk and only from her baby bottle.

We have tried:

cold turkey x2- both times she ended up in hospital with dehydration.

Watering her milk down gradually.

Milk in cup and water in the bottle.

Every style of cup/beaker possible.

We have given her sensory chews.

Her teeth have suffered for this and the school (inclusion unit) refuse her the bottle in school, which I understand but with the warmer weather, it's worrying.

We are seeking help from a psychologist but in the meantime any advise would be hugely appreciated.

Parents
  • Sorry but why are they refusing your non verbal non toilet trained anxious daughter fluid in the only way she will take it? I know you said you understand but I dont. Refusing a child a basic human need (fluid) in the only way she can take it seems very cruel/neglectful/abusive.

• I agree completely. The school has a strict no bottle policy. I hoped that she would copy the other children and learn to use a cup but it hasn't happened. She apparently takes sips from a cup in the day but very little. She has a bottle in the taxi home. The psychologist was also concerned about her fluid intake in school. We are all working together to try and work out whats best for my child.

• I can't write on here what I think about the school. 

You said they are working together with you to work out what's best for your child, I think they need to take a step back and really think about what's best for her not their stupid rules.

• I can't write on here what I think about the school. 

You said they are working together with you to work out what's best for your child, I think they need to take a step back and really think about what's best for her not their stupid rules.

Children
No Data