mainstream school or homeschool whats the best choice

hi there i have a 7 year old who we finally got diagnosed in jan i had said from the age of 3 he wasnt right he is struggling in school 2 cope but because he is not academically to far behind he wont get a ehcp the school have helped but he hurts himself they made him sit with his hands on the table because he was hurting himself his not sleeping and saying really bad things about how he hates his life waiting to have sessions with ewmhs.the school say i will make him worse taking him out but to him the last place he wants to be is with people its hard to even get him to go out.just wondered if anyone had any advice as to me its not worth the upset and its ruining his daily life.when given the diagnosis all they said was he scored significantly on the scale not sure what that means any advice would be great thank you   

Parents
  • I don't understand why they won't do an EHCP/statement if he has a diagnosis of autism. It shouldn't be based just on academic functioning or IQ.

Also it sounds like they don't know what to do about him hurting himself. The SENco should look at why he's doing that.

There may be another mainstream school with better support? Also, is there a parents' group (NAS or general carers) in your area? There may be a lot of people having the same problem. (BTW I am not a parent, and hope other parents can advise.)

• I don't understand why they won't do an EHCP/statement if he has a diagnosis of autism. It shouldn't be based just on academic functioning or IQ.

Also it sounds like they don't know what to do about him hurting himself. The SENco should look at why he's doing that.

There may be another mainstream school with better support? Also, is there a parents' group (NAS or general carers) in your area? There may be a lot of people having the same problem. (BTW I am not a parent, and hope other parents can advise.)

Children
  • thanks think his hurting himself as he gets to heightened and overwhelmed he trys to hold it all in and has meltdown as soon as its over  and his at home so now just thinking of taking him out of school but the school say it will do more harm and he has to learn how to cope they do try to help he has a tent he can go to but only for 10mins he wants to be in it all the time lol he has a one plan and will going to junior school sept.just want to find out what other people do lol will have a look at nas thank you