What do parents want out of secondary schools?

This question is aimed at parents of children with ASD rather than adults with ASD...

What exactly do you want out of secondary school?

• Parent of teen with ASD. Oh to be listened to. To be communicated with. To do a needs assessment individual to the child and meet those needs. To recognise the childs strengths. Finally a robust bullying policy that is more than just words on paper. Hope this helps x

• Could be either. Out of curiosity, what do you want out of secondary school?

• Or have they not thought about what they want out of secondary schools?

• There are plenty of parents with children with ASD on this forum.

The reason they don't reply to your post is probably because they are too busy struggling with real life to frequent this site very often.

• I never wanted my son to go to school at all (not ASD) but he wanted to go so when he was 6, we stopped travelling so he could go. I just said get out of it what you want and when it’s not giving you what you want, leave, but don’t take anything they try to teach you seriously. He could already read and write by then and I told him that whatever else he needed to learn, he can learn it when he needs to. He liked school for the social aspect and he liked doing what the other kids were doing. He’d lived what you might call an alternative life up until then and he liked being in one place and doing what all the other kids were doing. 

I think each kid will be different and will want different things from school. I supported my kid to do what he wanted, I would have liked him not to go but he wanted to and it was his life so I just did what I could to keep myself in one place until he left. 

• I'm both but, as far as I'm aware, the only 'child' I have who's still at school doesn't have ASD. Sorry I can't help.   

• Are there any parents on this forum or is it just adults with ASD?