14 year old - OCD/Apergers - "forgetting" medication

Not impressed I must admit but thats my son to a tee. Goes with the flow, expects things to bend the way he wants etc and will make zero effort to help himself.

We've spent over £500 on private consultant appointments to get him seen and presribed medication. Found out for the last 10 days hes "forgotten" to take it.

Hes almost 15 - I'm absolately bomping mad with him. Surely, at 14/15 he should be able to know the importance of it?

Parents
  • When you spent the money on the appointments did you spend the money to help him or to help yourself?

Sounds like he does not see any need to take it.

I am similar with my personal hygiene. I see some need for it and will make an effort e.g. if I am getting a lift somewhere and am going to be in the close proximity of others for long periods of time, but I "forget" to do it as you put it if I am not going to be seeing other people.

• Another thing to bear in mind about medication is that most medication has side-effects and only the person taking the medication can decide whether the advantages of taking the medication outweigh the disadvantages - there can be exceptions if someone is extremely suicidal or lacks the capacity to make the decision but neither of these appear to apply to your son.

• Absolute rubbish. Yes all medication has side effects but mostly its short-term and not "serious". To decide to not take medication when a qualified consultant has advised it without speaking to them is a bad course of action.

And yes I do know a lot more about mental health and medication that you seem to think I do.

Its not as if hes made an informed choice not to take it. If he came to us and said "Look - its causing me problems" then we'd make another appointment for him to discuss the options. This is the sensible approach.

The idea that sufferers are being forced to do things not for themselves but for the rest of the family is just pathetic to be honest. Heard it all before to be honest. Families are there to help. If you just sit in the corner and refuse to let people help you or listen to PROFESSIONAL advice then thats not going to work.

• People on the spectrum can be a bit blunt at times. We communicate in different ways from other people.

• Personally yes but I apologise if you didn't find it helpful.

• Actually I do believe you.

• OK Fair point. But you won;'t believe how many times I get the same old "you're just doing this because its inconvenient for you".

• "When you spent the money on the appointments did you spend the money to help him or to help yourself?"

Do you really think that is a "helpful" comment?

Reply Children