psychology

i have been thinking of getting some kind of career in psychology in the future but i was thinking is it possible for someone with autism to become a psychologist?

Parents
  • Because of discrimination, I have recently been forced to give up my career in science (I have 4 degrees in science, including a PhD) and I have been thinking about taking some new training in psychology.

I think that psychology would be a good career for someone on the spectrum because we are more capable of being objective and making well-reasoned decisions. I'm not sure that if I were to undertake such a career change I would not just be diagnosing everyone as being on the spectrum though lol.

I am really tired of reading papers and books about autism written from the neurotypical perspective, as if we are damaged or defective, when we have many advantages over neurotypicals as well. I would love to do research into the autistic mind as an evolutionary advancement, which I believe it is.

I don't know about talking to people, i.e. treating them for psychological issues, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be possible for someone on the spectrum to do that. I'm just more interested in research, given my scientific background.

I say go for it. There shouldn't be any reason you can't do whatever you put your mind to.

• Because of discrimination, I have recently been forced to give up my career in science (I have 4 degrees in science, including a PhD) and I have been thinking about taking some new training in psychology.

Whoah.., “because of discrimination”..... :( so sad

Reply Children

• On a serious note how many Aspie folk are held back from reaching their potential due to an inability to jump the hoops of old school interview practices (something Silicon Valley is addressing, at last)..

Well historically Aspergians, Aspies and Neurological Divergents have been thought mad or weird etcetera and rejected on the basis, quite incorrectly, that we are are as such deviants.

Not so and this is becoming known as so.

Evolutional theorists even think, incorrectly, that we are the next evolutional step in human development. Even though this is incorrect, as we have always been around, some ND's do have the psychological apparatus to not only understand, but also to comprehend humanity's next technological step.

Thus it is that tech organisations or science establishments like Silicon Valley etcetera, are advertising for and employing as many Neurologically Divergent people as possible ~ so as to solve the infinite and finite correlations of Base3 mathematics, geometrically structured fields and forms, for zero-point energy or dark-matter utilisation.

and the fact that we just...well, you know...kind of (don’t take this personally), ... don’t fit...

Well as far as the societal delusion goes that we do not fit ~ I do take it personally and thankfully as complement ;-)

• Well as long as you keep on thieving information from the information bank all Robin Hood stylie ~ you can continue being so :-)

• With that attitude, I could have been a bank robber! 

• On a serious note how many Aspie folk are held back from reaching their potential due to an inability to jump the hoops of old school interview practices (something Silicon Valley is addressing, at last)... and the fact that we just...well, you know...kind of (don’t take this personally), ... don’t fit...

• If I punch, you ok with the dust pan........ luv...

It's a family job then ~ no sweat!

• If I punch, you ok with the dust pan........ luv...

• Yes please... the nunchucks and ice pick aren’t quite doing it! Ray gun set to “stun”... self set to stun... just less a case of “shock and awe, more “shock....and run!”

• glass ceiling anyone???

Would you like a Nitrogen gas canistor, a white-hot dot punch, a hammer, some protective clothing and a dust pan and brush for the shattered glass luv? ;-)

• I wonder how common that is...

i have a number of academic quals and have performed well in my role for just over 15 yrs. Not senior management material as too “operational”... which I translate to mean, too useful where you are luv..

currenly managed by someone who doesn’t understood what I do, but knows I do it well, no support.. my last meeting with my LM was 6 months ago, my appraisal an emailed list of targets.... grrrr

glass ceiling anyone???

• I was going to say myself....