Where do I start?

we have a 6 year old boy who we think could be a little autistic. We also think ADHD is a possibility as I myself have a diagnosis for it.

As you will all no doubt know getting assessed on the nhs is a very long wait and I am considering private. However some say that private assessment is not as thorough as NHS. Any thoughts?

Does anyone have advise on how to deal with my son as he:

1. Doesn't have friends

2. He cries over trivial matters;

3. He gets very scared over things like witches, ghosts (even on cartoons);

4. He stores up resentment over trivial things such as his sister kicking his ball in the park a month ago.

5. School say he is not paying attention in class and is falling behind.

These are just a few things. 

Can anyone suggest a positive course of action?

Many thanks

Parents
  • he sounds a bit like I was when i was younger (I used to get afraid there were dinosaurs in the attic) when it was night my mum would leave the light on in the hallway so I felt safe and it worked. I got put back a year at primary school was tested for adhd and had my ears tested because I wasn't paying attention in class. I pretty much grew out of all these things except for the friends thing I still struggle with but i guess that's normal for us folk. Perhaps get him into a hobby he can devote his time to ( I used to paint miniatures warhammer ect) that was great

• he sounds a bit like I was when i was younger (I used to get afraid there were dinosaurs in the attic) when it was night my mum would leave the light on in the hallway so I felt safe and it worked. I got put back a year at primary school was tested for adhd and had my ears tested because I wasn't paying attention in class. I pretty much grew out of all these things except for the friends thing I still struggle with but i guess that's normal for us folk. Perhaps get him into a hobby he can devote his time to ( I used to paint miniatures warhammer ect) that was great

Children
No Data