DS feels like a balloon being blown up!

Hi there,

Our DS is 14 (yr 9).  He was diagnosed with HFASD over a year ago.  He has an EHCP.  On Sunday just gone, he had a massive meltdown due to having an argument with his Dad.  Our DS had reacted so badly, he got himself into a right old state and for the first time, he said that he felt like a balloon that was constantly being blown up.  The argument was a pin to balloon which then exploded (his words).  He said that his ASD makes him not in control and he loses the plot and he cant help it : (  

My heart was breaking for him as he IS a good kid.

We said that maybe we should get some help, maybe speak to someone about medication, of which he agreed was a good idea (and he wouldn't normally step inside a doctors surgery unless he absolutely had to!).

So, having him actually recognise he needs help was massive to us.  However, we have now stepped into another unknown puddle.  Do we got to the GP, CAMHS, mention it to school?? I have no idea.

Has anyone got any advice as to where to go from here?

Thanks for reading

x

Parents
  • Hi sje1973,

I would echo what Misfit says and speak to your GP, who can then make a decision whether to refer you to CAMHS, and/or to provide medication. If you would like to speak to someone directly about this to get some advice, please feel free to call the NAS helpline on 0808 800 4104 from 10am to 4pm.

In the meantime we do have an advisory page on meltdowns - while it can be very hard to predict when the balloon will burst, as your son puts it, the advice here can help to prevent meltdowns, or reduce their frequency and intensity - http://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/meltdowns.aspx

Best wishes,

Ross - mod 

• Hi sje1973,

I would echo what Misfit says and speak to your GP, who can then make a decision whether to refer you to CAMHS, and/or to provide medication. If you would like to speak to someone directly about this to get some advice, please feel free to call the NAS helpline on 0808 800 4104 from 10am to 4pm.

In the meantime we do have an advisory page on meltdowns - while it can be very hard to predict when the balloon will burst, as your son puts it, the advice here can help to prevent meltdowns, or reduce their frequency and intensity - http://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/meltdowns.aspx

Best wishes,

Ross - mod 

Children
No Data