Not receiving e-mail notifications?

Am I the only one who is not receiving notifications when someone has posted to a thread that they are subscribed to?

Parents
  • We have fixed the issue with email notifications. This will have resulted in a flood of messages, as your outstanding notifications were delivered. That in turn might be why some of you (including me) got duplicates. Please post here if that continues to happen in the coming days.

I agree that your sign-in times out too soon, and that on many systems it would last days or weeks, whereas here it's less than an hour. We have plans for that, but it's a fairly central part of our systems.

• Hi WebPM I am not receiving email notifications, I have checked my settings and all are ok, no spam in any folders, no junk, and no email updates/ notifications since  28:02:2018,

last email notification received was this one, 

• Hi WebPM I am not receiving email notifications, I have checked my settings and all are ok, no spam in any folders, no junk, and no email updates/ notifications since  28:02:2018,

last email notification received was this one, 

Children
  • and secondly, we have put an alert in place so that we would know quickly if the issue were to recur.

You said that you have put an alert in place so that you would know quickly if the issue were to reoccur.

For almost four-five days I did not get e-mail notifications and only today they arrived.

People had to write several times before someone even noticed.

• I regret that I am not sure what more we can do about this. I would suggest that you contact your email provider, including a copy of the last notification that you received. The problem that we had previously involved the system for sending email notifications stopping entirely, so that the notifications became queued on the Community server, but were never sent. That has not happened again - firstly, others are receiving notifications, and secondly, we have put an alert in place so that we would know quickly if the issue were to recur.

However, emails are a complex area. Some estimates suggest that 60% of global email is spam. I have heard higher estimates. Faced with this, email providers do many different things to avoid the costs of processing all those messages, and the nuisance caused by delivering them to you. Putting some messages in a spam/junk folder is just the last line of defence, and not the whole story. They may for example refuse altogether to accept mail from some sources, irrespective of its contents (think of declining delivery of a package without even opening it, just because of the source address on the outside).

If I am correct, then the feedback from you that messages of this type are useful should help your provider to refine their systems - but you'll realise that they probably get a large number of such customer complaints, and have limited resource to deal with them.

I can see no reason why we would be sending notifications to others and not to you, and you have checked your settings. Therefore, I do believe that it is the process of delivering mail, after it has left us, that is the issue - unless of course there has been a change in your email address, but that seems unlikely.