BRAINWAVES...and AUTISM.

NEW THREAD - Title: BRAINWAVES ...AND AUTISM.

This following, was printed in:
Asperger United, Edition 83, July 2015. (Page 10 (10-ish).)

"Brain waves are listed in order from sleeping to waking as beta, alpha, theta and delta. Beta being the waking state and alpha the state in which all children (and all animals) are in. Consider the proposal that autism is a brain which has more conscious connections to the alpha state, which is why the more "SEVERE" it is, the more childlike or sensitive the person is. Neurotypicals are "successful" beta people, while persons like me, with Asperger's syndrome, are highly beta, ..."

After that, it was mentioned again, in one-or-two later issues of AU... but still no-one responded to that EXACT topic (Brainwaves + Autism). So I (try to) invite opinions HERE.

There are "Links" to "prove" this matter, if the links given below still work:

psychcentral.com/.../100436.html

www.sciencedirect.com/.../S1877042815002347

みんあ: がんばって 下さい,な...

Parents
  • I don't think I'm understanding these articles properly. Are they simply concluding that ASD uses the brain regions differently from non-ASD?

That our brains are differently connected and so results in some parts functioning more effectively and others less so?

Because if that is what these studies are saying, didn't we already know that?

ie. higher logical processing skills at the expense of lower social processing skills? 

• Because if that is what these studies are saying, didn't we already know that?

ie. higher logical processing skills at the expense of lower social processing skills? 

(Huzzah! Thank You Kindly for Posting upon this Thread - and asking questions about it. This Thread is one of my own personal interests, a main link to myself and "Autism" in general (after being diagnosed AS)...)

...With regards to that which I Quote, then, No, not "everone" knows that. It may feel "True", yet the point of this Thread was that "Autism" ASDs are doubted by the majority: they do not exist at all, maybe, well, oh, but, this, that, and, so... That sort of thing. This fact (the Brainwaves Study) should cement "Autism" as a FACT.

With regards to the last part of the Quote, then it is different for all, and, excuse me, quite irrelevant. 

I had wanted to discuss this correctly, and I Thank You very much, for being the first to ask questions directly concerning the initial topic. (I can also add more about the "non-human" and "child" aspects also.)

• Aha! I didn't realise that you meant this post in relation to ASD's still being doubted by some people, I'm assuming you mean inasmuch as comments such as "Everyone's a bit like that."(?)

Yes, I can see now why these research papers / studies are so important in that they do give validation (required for those who persist in thinking "Everyone's a bit like that.") to the investigations into physical causes for ASD's. 

You are also right in saying that I do feel and accept the 'physical cause' model as being a fact but it is perhaps more prudent to await the accumulation of evidence such as these research studies provide. Perhaps in much the same way as I accept any 'fact' that I truly believe in, ie. I try to gather as much evidence to support it as is available but try to remember to remain open-minded about where that research may lead. 'We' have after all scientifically disproved many 'facts' over time.  

Concerning your final sentence above, do you mean "non-human" cases of ASD? Has ASD been observed in other great apes or species?    

• Greetings again to "Endymion".

However...

I see that I was correct in having reservations concerning your post. That is to say, that I myself said:

"Your Post gives me much cheer, and Thanks Again, for you seem to understand what this is about quite perfectly. :-) "

...note emphasis upon the word "QUITE".

I was indeed happy to see your Post, as you next asked about "Animals" and such...
    BUT then you Re-Posted upon the Topic of MRIs and fMRIs... which are very different.

Please re-read the Posts between myself and "SeniorMoment". And, now, also have a look at this Link, back to Asperger United Magazine:

www.autism.org.uk/.../letter-brainwaves.aspx

...It seems, again, that I am *still* the only person here who understands this "Brainwaves" aspect...? And that was why I attempted this Thread.
    (Um... Good Fortune to yourself and all in any case...!)

• Good evening (or rather morning as it is now although I haven't yet slept). Some late night browsing on your topic of Brainwaves and Autism, as it has been on my mind since we last spoke, revealed a website I thought you may be interested in:

fcon_1000.projects.nitrc.org/indi/abide (I copied this from the URL bar so I do not understand why it hasn't created a link but, as I've said before, my computer skills are non-existent. Sorry.)

It's called the 'Autism Brain Imaging Data Exchange' (or ABIDE) and it's FULL of academic research papers and studies on fMRI and MRI data relating to ASD (and ADHD). 

If you reach the website from my poor directions, go to 'Manuscripts' and check out:

PMID:28030565 - 'Using Functional or Structural Magnetic Resonance Images and Personal Characteristic Data to Identify ADHD and Autism'

PMID 26737238 - The Predictive Power of Structural MRI in Autism Diagnosis.

There are hundreds of other up-to-date published articles and papers on the subject of Brainwaves and Autism available on this site and links to a veritable smorgasbord of information. (ABIDE II looks to be the most interesting of the two projects!) 

Happy reading! 

(I'll revisit it when I'm more awake and functional.)

• Good evening (or rather morning as it is now although I haven't yet slept). Some late night browsing on your topic of Brainwaves and Autism, as it has been on my mind since we last spoke, revealed a website I thought you may be interested in:

fcon_1000.projects.nitrc.org/indi/abide (I copied this from the URL bar so I do not understand why it hasn't created a link but, as I've said before, my computer skills are non-existent. Sorry.)

It's called the 'Autism Brain Imaging Data Exchange' (or ABIDE) and it's FULL of academic research papers and studies on fMRI and MRI data relating to ASD (and ADHD). 

If you reach the website from my poor directions, go to 'Manuscripts' and check out:

PMID:28030565 - 'Using Functional or Structural Magnetic Resonance Images and Personal Characteristic Data to Identify ADHD and Autism'

PMID 26737238 - The Predictive Power of Structural MRI in Autism Diagnosis.

There are hundreds of other up-to-date published articles and papers on the subject of Brainwaves and Autism available on this site and links to a veritable smorgasbord of information. (ABIDE II looks to be the most interesting of the two projects!) 

Happy reading! 

(I'll revisit it when I'm more awake and functional.)

Children
  • Greetings again to "Endymion".

However...

I see that I was correct in having reservations concerning your post. That is to say, that I myself said:

"Your Post gives me much cheer, and Thanks Again, for you seem to understand what this is about quite perfectly. :-) "

...note emphasis upon the word "QUITE".

I was indeed happy to see your Post, as you next asked about "Animals" and such...
    BUT then you Re-Posted upon the Topic of MRIs and fMRIs... which are very different.

Please re-read the Posts between myself and "SeniorMoment". And, now, also have a look at this Link, back to Asperger United Magazine:

www.autism.org.uk/.../letter-brainwaves.aspx

...It seems, again, that I am *still* the only person here who understands this "Brainwaves" aspect...? And that was why I attempted this Thread.
    (Um... Good Fortune to yourself and all in any case...!)