The Day In and Day Out 101 Chat Thread

If you are experiencing more divergent and less focused states of mind, day or night, and would just like to have a bit of a 'chat'; discuss a topic that just comes to mind or as becomes off-topic on another thread of posts ~ be welcome here to do so on this thread.

Parents
  • Potential happiness and joy session tonight or soon perhaps. I really really enjoy watching sci-fi films with beautiful galaxies, planets, environments, architectures, vessels, life-forms and technology stuff with a good bit of seriousness, romance, cuteness, oddness, humour and silliness being involved. There was a film doing all this all the way (as far I was concerned) called Guardians of the Galaxy ~ a couple of years back which became one of my all time favourites, and I got the sequel to it today, and I am really intrigued to see if the film makers have done a good job of it . . .

• Guardian's of the Galaxy is a very good film. Not seen the sequel so no spoilers please!

my favourite is still Bladerunner. Studied the philosophy of the book as part of my first degree.  - it's philosophical and existential themes. Love Phillip K ***.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die."

nuff said deep thought.

humbled 

• Love the way they the authors surname has been censored. An abbreviation of Richard...in case anyone was curious 

• Misfit61 said:

I'm slightly more of a science fantasy my nieces got me into Terry Pratchet and read Tolkien in my youth. 

I read Tolkien in my preadolescence up to the point when Frodo put on the ring when the dark riders came along, which I was really excited about, but I really lost interest thereafter as the story theme was just repeating itself over again ~ long journey and big battle, long journey and big battle. I did read the whole lot through several years before the Lord of the Rings films came out, but I was quite bored again from the same point and aside from the spider, it was completely predictable. The Hobbit books and films though were fully appreciated and very much enjoyed. It was just a shame I was full up for the remainder ~ because apart from the formulaic problem; Tolkien's work really was a major achievement, and its inherent meanings are still becoming ever more relevant. In terms of the same relevance the books, films and television adaptations of Gulliver's Travels (Johnathan Swift), 1984 (George Orwell) and Gormenghast (Mervyn Peake) were really absorbing and societally elucidating for me also.

The first book though of Terry Pratchett's I read was Small Gods, in my mid to late twenties, which I really got into along with the other disc world books later. All of them that I have read so far have made me laugh just so much and even too much. Terry Pratchett's delve into Sci-fi with Stephen Baxter to produce The Long Earth book as part of a series was really worthwhile in my opinion too.

• What sort of books do you read, Spotty?

• Love this, never actually read any Terry Pratchett, though I'm aware of it and watched the documentary on his dementia. I think I'd like it. He seemed like a very splendid human being. Need to get back to reading, it's one of the things I abandoned along with myself. Always found it hard to do in moderation though. 

• Oddness and silliness seems to suit quite well x

• Now that sounds familiar...

• Rizzoli and Isles at the moment. Not at all like galaxies, architecture and art forms but does have science humour and oddness and silliness. 

• Crikey...a bit too early in the week for an epiphany !

• It does it does. I like the wierd witches and the Tiffany books too. 

Reply Children