ATYPICAL

Hey, so I just binge watched Atypical on Netflix (not difficult because eight thirty-minute episodes do not constitute a series by any standard) and I wondered if anybody else has seen it yet and what you thought? Reviews have been mixed so far, but I enjoyed it.

Parents
  • I watched the first episode, but not sure what I think. At times I found it a little bit condescending, and I would really liked to have seen the lead actor portrayed by somebody who was actually on the spectrum. Apart from that, I'm looking forward to the second episode.

• I watched the first episode, but not sure what I think. At times I found it a little bit condescending, and I would really liked to have seen the lead actor portrayed by somebody who was actually on the spectrum. Apart from that, I'm looking forward to the second episode.

Children
  • For me, the actor looked like he had autism ;), behaved like he had autism, and sounded like he had autism (like the way he laughed at the things he found funny that no-one else did). He had that confused/"I can't work this out"/"this makes no sense" look often enough for me to think it was realistic :P

It's only a dramatisation. He portrayed it similarly enough to being me that it was believable.