Revolting Food

I'll come clean to start with.

I am a very fussy eater.  My diet is very bland.  It used to drive my mother to despair the way I wouldn't eat much variety of food.

I hate strong flavours, with the exception of kippers and sardines.  I eat very little meat.  And I eat very few vegetables either, and cooked vegetables are a very big no, except for potatoes in the form of chips or baked..  Lettuce, radish, watercress, and raw carrots are the only other vegetables I eat.  The only poultry I will eat is in the form of a boiled or poached hen's egg, except as part of the recipe for a cake.  Bread, nearly always wholemeal (I do like white bread but avoid it because it is less healthy.)  And milk, butter, cheddar cheese, yoghurt, and fruit (oranges, bananas, apples, peaches, strawberries, .... nothing exotic. ) There is very little else I will eat.  I know I won't like it and 'gag' at any attempt. An onion I could detect at fifty paces and it is amazing that others insist there is not onion in what they are eating - many things have onions or onion powder in them which I can detect..  Strong smelling foods I find thoroughly revolting.

This extends to cookery programmes on television, pictures in magazines, etc.  I have an absolute aversion.  Lidls the supermarket, was selling snails the other day, they looked just like snails collected from the garden.  How anyone could put them in their mouth I do not know, they looked disgusting.

This food aversion has been with me throughout my life.  Right from just after I was on solid food.  Nothing my mother did could force me to eat things I dd not want.  I believe this is strongly linked to being autistic. 

I am writing this not to ask for advice on how to eat.  Nor to express my concern over my diet.  I am 62 and am not dead yet and it has not done me a lot of harm.  I just wonder how many others of 'mature' years also have a restricted diet. And I also hope that it may reassure parents that if their children are very fussy, as long as they are eating some healthy food they need not worry too much.

The main problems it causes me are that I cannot eat out (except fish and chips with no funny stuff on them, just salt and vinegar.)  A meal at a restaurant I would look on as a punishment. Rather than that I would much rather sit down to two pieces of wholemeal bread and butter with a banana.

And if that is what I like, why should that be of concern to others?

Parents
  • I watch out for MSG, additives and antibiotics in all of my food.  I find MSG to be the most common offender even at the most "clean" food you can find.  Take sauces and meats for example, they add "seasoning" to mass produced food to make you feel full and enjoy the meal.  Without it, it tends to be bland.  MSG is also usually non-marked and goes by a massive list of "other names".  Sneaky, unfair...but reality.   Below is a short list and this is only with MSG and MSG derivatives.  

I've been consulted the best way to avoid these is to cook at home with good ingredients.  This is pretty true and sad for us to have to create this much safety in order to live our lifes.  Hope this is helpful :)

• Glutamic acid (E 620)
    • Glutamate (E 620)
    • Monosodium glutamate (E 621)
    • Monopotassium glutamate (E 622)
    • Calcium glutamate (E 623)
    • Monoammonium glutamate (E 624)
    • Magnesium glutamate (E 625)
    • Natrium glutamate
    • Anything “hydrolyzed”
    • Any “hydrolyzed protein”
    • Calcium caseinate,  Sodium caseinate
    • Yeast extract, Torula yeast
    • Yeast food, Yeast nutrient
    • Autolyzed yeast
    • Gelatin
    • Textured protein
    • Whey protein
    • Whey protein concentrate
    • Whey protein isolate
    • Soy protein
    • Soy protein concentrate
    • Soy protein isolate
    • Anything “protein”
    • Anything “protein fortified”
    • Soy sauce
    • Soy sauce extract
    • Anything “enzyme modified”
    • Anything containing “enzymes”
    • Anything “fermented”
    • Anything containing “protease”
    • Vetsin
    • Ajinomoto
    • Umami
  • I watch out for MSG, additives and antibiotics in all of my food.  I find MSG to be the most common offender even at the most "clean" food you can find.  Take sauces and meats for example, they add "seasoning" to mass produced food to make you feel full and enjoy the meal.  Without it, it tends to be bland.  MSG is also usually non-marked and goes by a massive list of "other names".  Sneaky, unfair...but reality.   Below is a short list and this is only with MSG and MSG derivatives.  

I've been consulted the best way to avoid these is to cook at home with good ingredients.  This is pretty true and sad for us to have to create this much safety in order to live our lifes.  Hope this is helpful :)

• Glutamic acid (E 620)
    • Glutamate (E 620)
    • Monosodium glutamate (E 621)
    • Monopotassium glutamate (E 622)
    • Calcium glutamate (E 623)
    • Monoammonium glutamate (E 624)
    • Magnesium glutamate (E 625)
    • Natrium glutamate
    • Anything “hydrolyzed”
    • Any “hydrolyzed protein”
    • Calcium caseinate,  Sodium caseinate
    • Yeast extract, Torula yeast