Why nothing for us!!!!

It really annoys me, my brother has CMT and there is a weekend expecally for him and he found his gf there who also has CMT.

I have High functioning Autisim and there is nothing for us, no weekend meetup that takes place every year. Wouldn't it be great if we could atcually have something like that, i might of met a girl if that had happened

Parents
  • NAS15840 said:
    When there were kids in the year who were going to struggle to get three GCSEs of any kind I just wasn’t a priority. It’s fairly obvious now looking back, to any teacher with training and the time to pay attention that I was on the spectrum, those who had the time didn’t have the training and those with the training didn’t have the inclination to look, they were too busy dealing with the thick kids. Statistically speaking I was going to be fine (10 A*-C grades at GCSE, five of those A* or A, I didn’t matter, on paper I met the requirement for a good pupil, it didn’t matter I didn’t have any friends, I was doing fine on the stats for the league tables so I was left to my own devices.

Read my comment about there being too much emphasis on academic development.

http://community.autism.org.uk/discussions/health-wellbeing/education-matters/there-too-much-emphasis-academic-development

My experience of school is that teachers only care about getting students up to C grade standards and they don't offer help and support for those who are of high academic ability.

I think I went through a phase of being resentful, now I’m just disappointed, it wasn’t until a few years ago in my late twenties that I really figured it all out, started learning proper coping mechanisms, got formally (although privately) diagnosed. I think if it’s a shame I lost that decade because I could have understood it and learnt the coping mechanisms ten years earlier and not wasted that decade, but also I’ve turned it around now and I am who I am, time to make the best of the life I’ve got left to live!

I'm still intrigued why Lorna Wing kept AS almost secret during the 1980s.

• NAS15840 said:
    When there were kids in the year who were going to struggle to get three GCSEs of any kind I just wasn’t a priority. It’s fairly obvious now looking back, to any teacher with training and the time to pay attention that I was on the spectrum, those who had the time didn’t have the training and those with the training didn’t have the inclination to look, they were too busy dealing with the thick kids. Statistically speaking I was going to be fine (10 A*-C grades at GCSE, five of those A* or A, I didn’t matter, on paper I met the requirement for a good pupil, it didn’t matter I didn’t have any friends, I was doing fine on the stats for the league tables so I was left to my own devices.

Read my comment about there being too much emphasis on academic development.

http://community.autism.org.uk/discussions/health-wellbeing/education-matters/there-too-much-emphasis-academic-development

My experience of school is that teachers only care about getting students up to C grade standards and they don't offer help and support for those who are of high academic ability.

I think I went through a phase of being resentful, now I’m just disappointed, it wasn’t until a few years ago in my late twenties that I really figured it all out, started learning proper coping mechanisms, got formally (although privately) diagnosed. I think if it’s a shame I lost that decade because I could have understood it and learnt the coping mechanisms ten years earlier and not wasted that decade, but also I’ve turned it around now and I am who I am, time to make the best of the life I’ve got left to live!

I'm still intrigued why Lorna Wing kept AS almost secret during the 1980s.

Children
No Data