Why nothing for us!!!!

It really annoys me, my brother has CMT and there is a weekend expecally for him and he found his gf there who also has CMT.

I have High functioning Autisim and there is nothing for us, no weekend meetup that takes place every year. Wouldn't it be great if we could atcually have something like that, i might of met a girl if that had happened

Parents
  • StephenHarris said:
    Yes, I was indeed one of them.

The same applied to me and that was in the late 1990s. I was referred to by a couple of nasty kids at primary school as autistic but the psychologists which assessed me ruled out autism because I did not fit the traditional criteria very well.

The problem with this is that by ruling out autism in a person then the NAS is cut out of the picture and it will not be an organisation that later assesses them. I have wondered how many people with AS and other high-functioning ASD over the years were never assessed by the NAS and psychologists who are experts in ASD simply because their educational psychologist or other psychologists who were assessing them ruled out autism early on. Does this help to explain the near silence on the AS front during the 1980s after Lorna Wing's paper was published in 1981?

community.autism.org.uk/.../aspergers-syndrome-clinical-account-lorna-wing

When my mother found out about AS and the strong potential that I have it, then it was very difficult for her to come to terms that it is an ASD because it manifests in a way that is nothing like traditional autism and autism had already been ruled out in me. At the time she considered AS to be a condition in its own right only vaguely related to autism.

• StephenHarris said:
    Yes, I was indeed one of them.

The same applied to me and that was in the late 1990s. I was referred to by a couple of nasty kids at primary school as autistic but the psychologists which assessed me ruled out autism because I did not fit the traditional criteria very well.

The problem with this is that by ruling out autism in a person then the NAS is cut out of the picture and it will not be an organisation that later assesses them. I have wondered how many people with AS and other high-functioning ASD over the years were never assessed by the NAS and psychologists who are experts in ASD simply because their educational psychologist or other psychologists who were assessing them ruled out autism early on. Does this help to explain the near silence on the AS front during the 1980s after Lorna Wing's paper was published in 1981?

community.autism.org.uk/.../aspergers-syndrome-clinical-account-lorna-wing

When my mother found out about AS and the strong potential that I have it, then it was very difficult for her to come to terms that it is an ASD because it manifests in a way that is nothing like traditional autism and autism had already been ruled out in me. At the time she considered AS to be a condition in its own right only vaguely related to autism.

Children
No Data