Why nothing for us!!!!

It really annoys me, my brother has CMT and there is a weekend expecally for him and he found his gf there who also has CMT.

I have High functioning Autisim and there is nothing for us, no weekend meetup that takes place every year. Wouldn't it be great if we could atcually have something like that, i might of met a girl if that had happened

Parents
  • NAS15840 said:
    It's a charity, it has to do the best it can with limited funding, that generally means helping where it can do the most good, for those who face the hardest situation, it's not there to help people get laid.

How limited is limited? According to the 2015 - 2016 NAS Annual Report:

Total income £98.7m. 

Income from donations £6.3m.

84% of all income from statutory bodies (the government).

It is probably safe to say that the total income for the NAS is greater than the total income for all other ASD organisations in Britain put together.

It could be argued that the NAS is less of a charity, in the traditional sense of the word, and is more of a government service provider. IMO if charities receive more than a certain percentage of income (about 25%) from the government then they should be forced to deregister as charities and become businesses instead. 

The income from donations is a drop in the bucket of the total NAS income. This raises questions whether it is actually worthwhile for people to do fundraising for the NAS or whether the money would achieve much more for people with ASD who are currently poorly served by the NAS if it was instead donated to another smaller ASD organisation.

£235,395 was raised in Word Autism Awareness Week 2015. This is several times the total annual income for my local AS support group. What has the NAS spent the money on?

It has been argued many times over the years that the NAS is only interested in chasing public money by prioritising services towards a small number of people with traditional Kanner autism who require residential care services or children who fit the criteria for NAS run schools.

There is virtually no public money available for people with high-functioning ASD who do not require residential care services or fit the criteria for NAS run schools. This is why the NAS only offers the minutest crumbs of support to these people along with sweet but hollow words.

• NAS15840 said:
    It's a charity, it has to do the best it can with limited funding, that generally means helping where it can do the most good, for those who face the hardest situation, it's not there to help people get laid.

How limited is limited? According to the 2015 - 2016 NAS Annual Report:

Total income £98.7m. 

Income from donations £6.3m.

84% of all income from statutory bodies (the government).

It is probably safe to say that the total income for the NAS is greater than the total income for all other ASD organisations in Britain put together.

It could be argued that the NAS is less of a charity, in the traditional sense of the word, and is more of a government service provider. IMO if charities receive more than a certain percentage of income (about 25%) from the government then they should be forced to deregister as charities and become businesses instead. 

The income from donations is a drop in the bucket of the total NAS income. This raises questions whether it is actually worthwhile for people to do fundraising for the NAS or whether the money would achieve much more for people with ASD who are currently poorly served by the NAS if it was instead donated to another smaller ASD organisation.

£235,395 was raised in Word Autism Awareness Week 2015. This is several times the total annual income for my local AS support group. What has the NAS spent the money on?

It has been argued many times over the years that the NAS is only interested in chasing public money by prioritising services towards a small number of people with traditional Kanner autism who require residential care services or children who fit the criteria for NAS run schools.

There is virtually no public money available for people with high-functioning ASD who do not require residential care services or fit the criteria for NAS run schools. This is why the NAS only offers the minutest crumbs of support to these people along with sweet but hollow words.

Children
No Data