Visualisations of autism

My name Is Michelle and I am a student at the University of Gloucestershire, studying Illustration. My project I am doing is focusing on six different disorders/ illness's (such as autism, depression, anxiety ADHD, Bipolar and tourettes) I am focusing on autism at the moment and would greatly appreciate any help any of you can give me. I personally was born with Aspergus syndrome, so I am sympathetic to people out there like me.

Its quite hard finding people with autism to help me with this project but I was hoping some of you could. What I need is for maybe two or three of you to individually tell me what autism would be like as a creature and I'll draw it. What you picture it as. Then I will bring it back to here and show you if possible and ask if that's what you meant. I will keep doing it until you are happy with it. I can even put fake names on the research project if you are uncomfortable with having your real name or screen name shown. 

Someone please help me ^_^ thanks so much. Michelle

Parents
  • Hi Michelle

I don't see myself as being the one who is the 'animal'.  It is everyone else who behaves in ways which are difficult to understand.  Me, I behave perfectly rationally and normally.  At least I do from my perspective.  I manage to sort out problems with most things without having to resort to others (I haven't got the money anyway).  Rather than throw something away which has broken, I would examine it carefully to see if it can be mended.  Whether it is glue, tape, screws, spare parts, or even making a part myself to mend it, I will try.

It is others who are the 'creatures', the 'aliens'. 

They eat food which I find repulsive, with strong smells and taste  which I cannot bear to be near, which sureley means they cannot recognise the subtleness of simple food.  They listen to sounds on their portable listening devices and on the radio which I find a total noise.  They join together in rowdy packs, going to places where they eat and drink at far greater prices than they can by shopping at the local supermarket and taking it home.  They buy sandwiches which look soggy and well past their best and pay ten times as much as it does for me to make them at home and take them to work.  They have no idea about how to do arithmetic without a calculator, or to spell words properly without a spell check (and still get it wrong),  They throw away clothes which are perfectly serviceable because they are no longer 'fashionable' - surely if the. design of clothing does not look good now it never did.  They drive for miles to a town to do their shopping and buy things they could get from round the corner at the same price.    They live in one town and drive many miles from there to work, never doing anything in the town they 'live' except sleeping and watching the television. They can't appreciate the beauty of silence, of solitude, of wide open spaces  And they continually buy things they don't really need, and throw away perfectly good things to make room for them.

So the animal I would draw a person with ASD would be a normal human being.  Only (s)he would be surrounded by a whole array of strange beings with very strange ideas who for some reason consider themselves 'normal'.

I'm sure you can use your Artistic skills to put something like this on paper!

• Hi Michelle

I don't see myself as being the one who is the 'animal'.  It is everyone else who behaves in ways which are difficult to understand.  Me, I behave perfectly rationally and normally.  At least I do from my perspective.  I manage to sort out problems with most things without having to resort to others (I haven't got the money anyway).  Rather than throw something away which has broken, I would examine it carefully to see if it can be mended.  Whether it is glue, tape, screws, spare parts, or even making a part myself to mend it, I will try.

It is others who are the 'creatures', the 'aliens'. 

They eat food which I find repulsive, with strong smells and taste  which I cannot bear to be near, which sureley means they cannot recognise the subtleness of simple food.  They listen to sounds on their portable listening devices and on the radio which I find a total noise.  They join together in rowdy packs, going to places where they eat and drink at far greater prices than they can by shopping at the local supermarket and taking it home.  They buy sandwiches which look soggy and well past their best and pay ten times as much as it does for me to make them at home and take them to work.  They have no idea about how to do arithmetic without a calculator, or to spell words properly without a spell check (and still get it wrong),  They throw away clothes which are perfectly serviceable because they are no longer 'fashionable' - surely if the. design of clothing does not look good now it never did.  They drive for miles to a town to do their shopping and buy things they could get from round the corner at the same price.    They live in one town and drive many miles from there to work, never doing anything in the town they 'live' except sleeping and watching the television. They can't appreciate the beauty of silence, of solitude, of wide open spaces  And they continually buy things they don't really need, and throw away perfectly good things to make room for them.

So the animal I would draw a person with ASD would be a normal human being.  Only (s)he would be surrounded by a whole array of strange beings with very strange ideas who for some reason consider themselves 'normal'.

I'm sure you can use your Artistic skills to put something like this on paper!

Children
No Data