Visualisations of autism

My name Is Michelle and I am a student at the University of Gloucestershire, studying Illustration. My project I am doing is focusing on six different disorders/ illness's (such as autism, depression, anxiety ADHD, Bipolar and tourettes) I am focusing on autism at the moment and would greatly appreciate any help any of you can give me. I personally was born with Aspergus syndrome, so I am sympathetic to people out there like me.

Its quite hard finding people with autism to help me with this project but I was hoping some of you could. What I need is for maybe two or three of you to individually tell me what autism would be like as a creature and I'll draw it. What you picture it as. Then I will bring it back to here and show you if possible and ask if that's what you meant. I will keep doing it until you are happy with it. I can even put fake names on the research project if you are uncomfortable with having your real name or screen name shown. 

Someone please help me ^_^ thanks so much. Michelle

Parents
  • artist just popping in said:

I didnt mean it in a bad way ClaireHig - I meant whether you see it as a companion or whether you see it as an ailment. Its intirely individual. I didnt set out to offend people - I am perfectly happy myself with my Aspergus so I'm not saying its a bad thing at all. 

As for your post I'llneverbeold would you say it would be suitable if I drew a person walking down a street but everyone else is coloured in and solid, wheres the person in the centre frame is scribbly, like a rough drawing? like they havent been coloured in yet? More of a surreal situation than a creature? 

Sorry I'm a bit over sensitive due to the state seemingly trying to kill off anyone who has less potential to become a high earner or who will stay dependent. It seems it's only a matter of time until a foetal test becomes available & we all get aborted before birth under the so called 'quality of life' excuse.

I don't think autism can be drawn. My life is like I'm living on a planet with people who look like me but are aliens. As they seem to have totally different environmental needs than me. For example they flock to the beach to sun bathe. I hate the sun. I admit it's useful to be able to see & grow plants. Sometimes it can be beautiful. But I see it as the big burning nuclear ball it is. Just going out in daylight in winter I can feel it on my skin & I hate the feeling. I would draw me sunbathing in the evening night as that's what makes me feel good. When people say isn't it lovely & sunny, I want to say no I wish it was dark & snowing.

When I see people talking, I want to put them in that police style one sided mirror glass. Where they can't see me, but I can see them only if I choose & I don't have to hear them. I don't hate my ASD as I've never known any other life. I don't take a negative view of my ASD in feeling that I'm broken, I take the view that I'm normal but living with aliens.

I think I most relate to a cat. I had a cat as a child & can relate to only wanting attention on my own terms. Which is not very often. I like to keep to myself. I don't like loud noises. And I don't like looking people in the eye. My cat used to squint/blink at me sometimes as a sign of trust/contentment, but he rarely looked me directly in the eye. I found his presence & similar needs as me quite comforting. Strangely my daughters favourite animal is a cat too.

• artist just popping in said:

I didnt mean it in a bad way ClaireHig - I meant whether you see it as a companion or whether you see it as an ailment. Its intirely individual. I didnt set out to offend people - I am perfectly happy myself with my Aspergus so I'm not saying its a bad thing at all. 

As for your post I'llneverbeold would you say it would be suitable if I drew a person walking down a street but everyone else is coloured in and solid, wheres the person in the centre frame is scribbly, like a rough drawing? like they havent been coloured in yet? More of a surreal situation than a creature? 

Sorry I'm a bit over sensitive due to the state seemingly trying to kill off anyone who has less potential to become a high earner or who will stay dependent. It seems it's only a matter of time until a foetal test becomes available & we all get aborted before birth under the so called 'quality of life' excuse.

I don't think autism can be drawn. My life is like I'm living on a planet with people who look like me but are aliens. As they seem to have totally different environmental needs than me. For example they flock to the beach to sun bathe. I hate the sun. I admit it's useful to be able to see & grow plants. Sometimes it can be beautiful. But I see it as the big burning nuclear ball it is. Just going out in daylight in winter I can feel it on my skin & I hate the feeling. I would draw me sunbathing in the evening night as that's what makes me feel good. When people say isn't it lovely & sunny, I want to say no I wish it was dark & snowing.

When I see people talking, I want to put them in that police style one sided mirror glass. Where they can't see me, but I can see them only if I choose & I don't have to hear them. I don't hate my ASD as I've never known any other life. I don't take a negative view of my ASD in feeling that I'm broken, I take the view that I'm normal but living with aliens.

I think I most relate to a cat. I had a cat as a child & can relate to only wanting attention on my own terms. Which is not very often. I like to keep to myself. I don't like loud noises. And I don't like looking people in the eye. My cat used to squint/blink at me sometimes as a sign of trust/contentment, but he rarely looked me directly in the eye. I found his presence & similar needs as me quite comforting. Strangely my daughters favourite animal is a cat too.

Children
No Data