Railways and trains

Anyone here a 'train spotter' or general rail enthusiast? I am myself... to the point I now volunteer at a heritage railway.

Parents
  • I've an interest iin railways I think it started with my Dad, I did work on the railway from leaving school, til I got made redundant. I know at school I wanted to be a train driver or maybe join the RAF (Might seem odd career choices for a girlie). I think when I really developed my interest in railways was during the final operating days of the Deltics.
    My interst now is mainly in heritage diesel, steam and electric locomotives.
    I did see a volunteering opportunity to help with the overhaul of a Bulleid Pacific, however at the time I was without regular access to a car, tho I've since got some wheels back, and I sometimes share lifts with others who live 10 miles or so away. I might not be skilled  in engineering, but I love cleaning copper pipes very theraputic. I did also sell raffle tickets on the trains in September at an East Coast Diesels event) so free Deltic and 31 haulage as I was working. If I lived closer to the Nene Valley Railway I would volunteer there more often, working the trains, if it wasn't for the early starts firing up a steam locomotive , and then cleaning the ashpans out at the end of the day I'd volunteer as a driver, but seeing as I'm about 53 miles away it would be quite a long day.  Here's our locomotive if anyone's interested http://www.92squadron.co.uk/

• I've an interest iin railways I think it started with my Dad, I did work on the railway from leaving school, til I got made redundant. I know at school I wanted to be a train driver or maybe join the RAF (Might seem odd career choices for a girlie). I think when I really developed my interest in railways was during the final operating days of the Deltics.
    My interst now is mainly in heritage diesel, steam and electric locomotives.
    I did see a volunteering opportunity to help with the overhaul of a Bulleid Pacific, however at the time I was without regular access to a car, tho I've since got some wheels back, and I sometimes share lifts with others who live 10 miles or so away. I might not be skilled  in engineering, but I love cleaning copper pipes very theraputic. I did also sell raffle tickets on the trains in September at an East Coast Diesels event) so free Deltic and 31 haulage as I was working. If I lived closer to the Nene Valley Railway I would volunteer there more often, working the trains, if it wasn't for the early starts firing up a steam locomotive , and then cleaning the ashpans out at the end of the day I'd volunteer as a driver, but seeing as I'm about 53 miles away it would be quite a long day.  Here's our locomotive if anyone's interested http://www.92squadron.co.uk/

Children
No Data