Urinating on bedroom carpet and clothes really need some advice please

Hi, I am new here and was told about this site at my partners daughters assessment yesterday. I was wondering if anyone here has had or is still having a problem with their child/children urinating on clothes or floor, she is 14 and has been doing this for the last few months, and always has the same answer that she forgot to go to the toilet. Me and my partner really have no clue how to solve what she has started to do, and any help or advice would be appreciated.

Parents
  • I did this at 14 too and it lasted about a year. I've never told anyone about it and this is the first time I've heard of anyone else doing it... it's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm 18 now and I haven't done it since (barring once when I was 15 and too anxious to use the toilet while someone was repairing the stairlift.) I had 3 main reasons for doing it: I used to stay up late talking to an internet friend, and I was afraid I'd get into trouble if my mom or grandma heard I was still awake, I was totally engrossed in what I was doing and didn't want to stop to go to the toilet, We had (and still have) a large mirror in our hallway. I always associate mirrors with "bad" things like lightning and ghosts/death etc, because as a child I lived in South Africa where we had terrible storms and had to cover our mirrors, and because of the religious environment I grew up in. Although neither reason is relevant anymore, the mirror still bothers me and I have to cover my eyes at night when I go to the toilet. So I think the main possibilities are what others have suggested: that she's having anxiety issues, she doesn't want to stop what she's doing, or something outside her bedroom is causing her problems. I agree that setting an alarm every 2 hours or so would be a good idea. Other than that, I'd just keep explaining the consequences of what she's doing. It must be frustrating for you... my family never found out what happened, and I stopped myself in the end. In my case I stopped talking so regularly to the girl I was internet friends with and that solved the problem. Good luck :)
  • I did this at 14 too and it lasted about a year. I've never told anyone about it and this is the first time I've heard of anyone else doing it... it's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm 18 now and I haven't done it since (barring once when I was 15 and too anxious to use the toilet while someone was repairing the stairlift.) I had 3 main reasons for doing it: I used to stay up late talking to an internet friend, and I was afraid I'd get into trouble if my mom or grandma heard I was still awake, I was totally engrossed in what I was doing and didn't want to stop to go to the toilet, We had (and still have) a large mirror in our hallway. I always associate mirrors with "bad" things like lightning and ghosts/death etc, because as a child I lived in South Africa where we had terrible storms and had to cover our mirrors, and because of the religious environment I grew up in. Although neither reason is relevant anymore, the mirror still bothers me and I have to cover my eyes at night when I go to the toilet. So I think the main possibilities are what others have suggested: that she's having anxiety issues, she doesn't want to stop what she's doing, or something outside her bedroom is causing her problems. I agree that setting an alarm every 2 hours or so would be a good idea. Other than that, I'd just keep explaining the consequences of what she's doing. It must be frustrating for you... my family never found out what happened, and I stopped myself in the end. In my case I stopped talking so regularly to the girl I was internet friends with and that solved the problem. Good luck :)
Children
No Data