Oxytocin

I read an article in the Daily Mail (so it must be true!!!) about a new 'Treatment' for autism using oxytocin. (this story is not new and has been going round for some time but the daily mail recirculates old stories frequently).  Apparently Oxytocin causes someone on the Autism Spectrum to react with more social interraction and makes them more likely to cuddle.

My understanding of oxytocin is that it is the hormone released when one falls in love, and is released in new mothers and causes them to bond with their babies. 

For anyone who ever has fallen in love, there is an extreme 'high' when one first experiences this.  Followed by a very extreme 'low' if the relationship breaks down.

The 'high' I think is due to the oxytocin affecting one's mind,  and then one becomes dependant on this .  The 'low' is withdrawal symptoms, which lead to the depression, anxiety, and all the bad feelings one gets at the breakdown of a relationship.

So I wonder, if using oxytocin in this way will actually lead to an even more intense meltdown if  for any reason it is withdrawn or unavailable?  And as with any drug, dependancy will become an issue.  It is not in my nature to take mind altering substances of any sort and would be very wary if my doctor prescribed it for me, a natural hormone or not. 

My other point of view is that there is this pervasive thought among many that ASD's need a 'cure' and this is not the case for everyone.  I do not need a 'cure'.  What I need is to be accepted for what I am, just different to other people and I have my own way of thinking and doing things. 

It was also interesting to read the comments to this article and the fact that some still believe autism is caused by measels vaccine!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3738956/Sydney-scientists-trial-new-nasal-spray-used-treat-autism-five-years.html

Parents
  • Hi folks 
    There is some real research behind the DM story but as ever it's early days and many many questions. FYI here is our "position"
    "This is interesting research from the University of Sydney, which adds to the growing body of knowledge about the potential impact oxytocin can have on some autistic people. But we understand that the trials are ongoing and only involve children, plus wider research is still at an early stage. It's therefore very important not to draw any hard and fast conclusions at this stage. 
    Autism is a complex condition which affects each person differently. It’s crucial that there’s a range of different interventions to meet individual needs. Oxytocin may offer one potentially helpful intervention for some autistic people, but we won’t know who for and in what circumstances until there’s more evidence"
    Regards
    Bob-Mod NAS
  • Hi folks 
    There is some real research behind the DM story but as ever it's early days and many many questions. FYI here is our "position"
    "This is interesting research from the University of Sydney, which adds to the growing body of knowledge about the potential impact oxytocin can have on some autistic people. But we understand that the trials are ongoing and only involve children, plus wider research is still at an early stage. It's therefore very important not to draw any hard and fast conclusions at this stage. 
    Autism is a complex condition which affects each person differently. It’s crucial that there’s a range of different interventions to meet individual needs. Oxytocin may offer one potentially helpful intervention for some autistic people, but we won’t know who for and in what circumstances until there’s more evidence"
    Regards
    Bob-Mod NAS
Children
No Data