What is Alpha Stim?

Have just read a post on twitter on @AutismForthVal saying using something called Alpha Stim Cranial Electrotherapy is useful for people with autism.

Very worried, this appears to be a legitimate site of government funded autism support.

Is this site and its facebook page legitimate? I looked up this Dr. Lorene Amet online, don't want to say too much on here, you can google for yourselves. Can this be legitimate?

What is this Alpha stim? I do not want to be forced to get some therapy. I do not want to be cured or have government agencies supporting these strange therapies for autism. Also worried as this site follows Autism Speaks (very controversial organisation in the autism community) and no autism rights organisations or autism rights campaigners.

Anyone know what is going on with this organisation. Is it real?

Am pretty worried. Please help.

• My understanding is alpha STIM isn’t an autism cure (because as we all know there isn’t one, nor do we want one). It is not therapy, but rather a device. What it does claim to do is relax the brain into the alpha state - same as sleep, meditation, running, arts and crafts etc - it can help with reducing and managing anxiety. NICE have some info on it but they’d like a bit more research. They were considering its use for people on waiting lists to see IAPT practitioners, as an interim measure. Having looked into this (briefly), I don’t see it as something nefarious, and it is used for lots of things, not just for Autistics. Too this extent, I have ordered a device to try it for myself and will later blog about it. I’d like to create the brain benefit I get when I go running, more often, and it appears this device can offer that. I live with life-long relentless anxiety, my need I feel is great. This being the case I am open minded to most options that could better manage my anxiety. My anxiety is linked to my being autistic so won’t go away, but management is worth it for me. 

• Hi Everyone,

Even if there was a cure i would not want it.  Life is not easy being on the spectrum, but Autism is a part of who i am and i am proud of it.

• I have to say I have no knowledge of this stuff, but I doubt the NAS promotes this sort of thing. You can always check on the website though. And I highly doubt anyone is going to strap us down and force us to endure something like this - it would be impossible, and not in any governments' interest, but I suffer from paranoia so I understand where your fear is coming from (I'm not saying you're paranoid, though, just that I can see this is playing on your mind and I know how scary that must be for you). Look after yourself.

• Rach91 said:

Is there a cure that would be answer to my prayers 

I would like a cure too, Rach, but I don't think this is the kind of cure we want. It doesn't sound right, or like it would work.

• Thanks for the reply IWouldRatherBe...

My concern is that this appears to be a Scottish Government Autism Strategy funded twitter/facebook/website. I did not know that these type of therapies were considered OK to be promoted on these types of site and that is why I am worried that these therapies would be considered something autistic people might be steered towards through official channels. I would expect all these dodgy therapies to be on other sites but not ones this official.

Do any Mods know if the Scottish Government Autism Strategy is promoting these type of therapies? Does the NAS promote these as legitimate therapies?

Sorry Rach91 I cannot agree with you, I believe autism is a different way of being and strive for acceptance and understanding, but I accept that you have a different feeling on the matter.

• Is there a cure that would be answer to my prayers 

• I don't know anything about these therapies so I can't really comment, but to be honest with you, it doesn't sound legit to me. Please try not to worry; it is horrible hearing about these scary so-called "cures" but in any case, no one can force you to do anything you don't want to do.