New Shoreham/Brighton Area social group for Adults

Hi, 
I am trying to organised a new social group on Meetup, a website for organizing social events, for people with high functioning autism and Asperger syndrome. The idea is to have a group that is run and organised by us, to give people a chance to socialize with others like them. 

It will be a relaxed and fun social environment to meet new people and talk about what ever you like. These meetups will take place around the Brighton, Shoreham and Worthing area, in a suitable location. A quiet pub or cafe with easy access for example. 

The group is open to anyone on the high functioning side of autism over 18, that can attend by themselves. I was thinking about having meet-ups once a week if there is enough interest, we could also look at doing activities in the area such as evenings outs, walks, cycling, site seeing, lunches etc, of course you are free to pick and choose what events you attend. If you have any ideas please feel free to get in touch. I know there are lots of us out there in the area, so it would be nice to have a way to meet some of you.

You can find the group at the following address, it is free to join:

www.meetup.com/.../

If you would prefer not to sign up on Meetup you can contact the group by using this thread or I can provide an email adress.

Currently I am doing this by myself, If you would have any interest in helping me run the group I would love to hear from you. I am hoping to start a facebook group soon which is something I could do with help with. 

I look forward to meeting you! 

Parents
  • Hi!

My name is Chris. I have Cerebral Palsy, Hydrocephalus, Dyspraxia, Caetextia and - wait for it, wait for it....!! - Aspergers!  

I have 16 computing quals including an HND equivalent - proud of that one.  They're a bit out of date these days because when you've got disabilities you don't get jobs much despite having good qualifications, but I still remember all I was ever taught.  Unfortunately it was pre-Internet days so it didn't include web design or anything like that but if anyone who can do things like that has a bit of patience,  I can learn pretty fast.  

I've been looking for somewhere like this to give me a chance for ages.  Unfortunately - and this is another reason I don't get vol. jobs much - I don't have any references. None. Nobody I've known for 2 years in any capacity. I've been moved around a LOT because I've been beaten up tons by able-bodied people, mugged, knifed, all my teeth kicked out, boiling water chucked all over my legs,  all sorts. And I've not had any friends/peer support because of all that. I've even  been beaten up by other disabled people because my face looks odd and they said they couldn't stand me looking at them.  

If you can get ove me having no references, I'd love to help out where I can.  I'm not bad at Fb.  Got a question to ask you MIGHT/Might not (prob. the latter, it's an odd question born of desperation(!)) be able to help with.  Do you know anyone who's into writing computer music? I love trying to do it but I really need someone to help me get started properly and when teachers I've found see I'm disabled, that proves I obviously can't possibly really do it (to them!) and so they don't bother turning up. I've had 3 teachers all no-show the week after they first come to see me.   You might know of DJ groups or disability music groups or anything like that. If not it doesn't matter, I'd still love to help out anyway.

I'm not in a wheelchair btw, but I do have balance problems.

Yours respectfully

Chris. ulrichburke at hotmail dot com, please contact me there first. I've spelled out the addy so passing bots can't pick up on it1  

• Hi!

My name is Chris. I have Cerebral Palsy, Hydrocephalus, Dyspraxia, Caetextia and - wait for it, wait for it....!! - Aspergers!  

I have 16 computing quals including an HND equivalent - proud of that one.  They're a bit out of date these days because when you've got disabilities you don't get jobs much despite having good qualifications, but I still remember all I was ever taught.  Unfortunately it was pre-Internet days so it didn't include web design or anything like that but if anyone who can do things like that has a bit of patience,  I can learn pretty fast.  

I've been looking for somewhere like this to give me a chance for ages.  Unfortunately - and this is another reason I don't get vol. jobs much - I don't have any references. None. Nobody I've known for 2 years in any capacity. I've been moved around a LOT because I've been beaten up tons by able-bodied people, mugged, knifed, all my teeth kicked out, boiling water chucked all over my legs,  all sorts. And I've not had any friends/peer support because of all that. I've even  been beaten up by other disabled people because my face looks odd and they said they couldn't stand me looking at them.  

If you can get ove me having no references, I'd love to help out where I can.  I'm not bad at Fb.  Got a question to ask you MIGHT/Might not (prob. the latter, it's an odd question born of desperation(!)) be able to help with.  Do you know anyone who's into writing computer music? I love trying to do it but I really need someone to help me get started properly and when teachers I've found see I'm disabled, that proves I obviously can't possibly really do it (to them!) and so they don't bother turning up. I've had 3 teachers all no-show the week after they first come to see me.   You might know of DJ groups or disability music groups or anything like that. If not it doesn't matter, I'd still love to help out anyway.

I'm not in a wheelchair btw, but I do have balance problems.

Yours respectfully

Chris. ulrichburke at hotmail dot com, please contact me there first. I've spelled out the addy so passing bots can't pick up on it1  

Children
No Data