Had the most God awful day today

Can't quite get my head around the advice I was given today.

My son has Autism, wants to work, but no one will employ him because of his ASD and SEVERE DYSLEXIA. Can't work without significant support, which we are endeavoring to provide him ourselves because ATW have no clue about Autism and say they can't help him. 

Yet Citizens advice advised that he should give up self-employed supported work; with a note from his GP to say he's not able to work unsupported, because DWP have messed up our notification of 'change of circumstance'!!!!!!!!!

Their is absolutely no way I'm asking my son to give up his 'Reason for living and only opportunity to contribute to society', just to appease the DWP!

What do these people want???????

Branded scroungers and lazy if you claim 'unfit for work' and advised to give up work if you have the desire, but no independent help or support; beyond your own family.

I've also been advise to attend court by CAB. When i tried to explain to CAB that as a carer of two on the spectrum, I have enough to contend with without having to go to court, he said he had no clue about ASD, but I should attend anyway!!!!! Really???????

How is this equality for those with disabilities??????

So B----y angry!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but i'm at the end of my tether.......Teenager sobbing inconsolably and disillusioned with a world filled with ignorance. The other in tears over an accident he's had. A disaster of a day

Is this really the message we want our youth to embrace?

Guess we are off to court to contest this. What a waste of money and a demoralizing time all round. Haven't people with ASD got enough to contend with????

God what a dreadful day.:(

Parents
  • Hello Yorkshirelass,

I'm glad it's over for you and that you have achieved the result needed for your situation, but also that you feel empowered by the experience,(This isn't always the experience for others,) but I know, all too well, about the time and energy it takes out of you and often at the expense of those who most need your care.

As for me, things have not been great. Since my court experience, even the most mundane of issues has become overwhelming for me, which is why I've not posted here in a while. Most days are a struggle just now. I'm finding with every hurdle, it takes more from me and seems to take longer for me to recover from. I guess i'm at the fringes of Carers Burnout, but more specificallly my faith in human nature has yet again been erroded to the point that I no longer feel able to reach out and ask for help or advice from anyone.

Support for the boys is either non-existant or fraught with anxiety and all of us have been plagued with ill health of late. My sons migraines have increased with his exam and life stress and my other son remains a challenge in his quest to find balance in his work/home life and peace in what should be his sleeping hours.

It's hard at these times to find purpose and direction and i'm struggling to get others to understand how badly i'm coping with it all. The familiar retort; that I appear able and seem to have things under control, belies the true extent of my angst and my vulnerability as I battle to extend myself to others, only to find they have another agenga or don't truly understand what a struggle it is to support my Aspie sons as an Aspie parent or indeed how little sense I can make of it all at times.

My hope is that it will pass and things will improve, but this familiar well-trodden path is one I recognise and one that causes me to consider that a life of total isolation, with perhaps just my animals as company, would be preferable to making contact with fellow humans.

I'd love to report something more positive on my front, but i'm struggling to see it frankly. I'm taking each day at a time and praying for something positive, which always seems to allude me.

I hope your trials become easier and life is treating you all well.

Take Care

Coogy.

• Hello Yorkshirelass,

I'm glad it's over for you and that you have achieved the result needed for your situation, but also that you feel empowered by the experience,(This isn't always the experience for others,) but I know, all too well, about the time and energy it takes out of you and often at the expense of those who most need your care.

As for me, things have not been great. Since my court experience, even the most mundane of issues has become overwhelming for me, which is why I've not posted here in a while. Most days are a struggle just now. I'm finding with every hurdle, it takes more from me and seems to take longer for me to recover from. I guess i'm at the fringes of Carers Burnout, but more specificallly my faith in human nature has yet again been erroded to the point that I no longer feel able to reach out and ask for help or advice from anyone.

Support for the boys is either non-existant or fraught with anxiety and all of us have been plagued with ill health of late. My sons migraines have increased with his exam and life stress and my other son remains a challenge in his quest to find balance in his work/home life and peace in what should be his sleeping hours.

It's hard at these times to find purpose and direction and i'm struggling to get others to understand how badly i'm coping with it all. The familiar retort; that I appear able and seem to have things under control, belies the true extent of my angst and my vulnerability as I battle to extend myself to others, only to find they have another agenga or don't truly understand what a struggle it is to support my Aspie sons as an Aspie parent or indeed how little sense I can make of it all at times.

My hope is that it will pass and things will improve, but this familiar well-trodden path is one I recognise and one that causes me to consider that a life of total isolation, with perhaps just my animals as company, would be preferable to making contact with fellow humans.

I'd love to report something more positive on my front, but i'm struggling to see it frankly. I'm taking each day at a time and praying for something positive, which always seems to allude me.

I hope your trials become easier and life is treating you all well.

Take Care

Coogy.

Children
No Data