Had the most God awful day today

Can't quite get my head around the advice I was given today.

My son has Autism, wants to work, but no one will employ him because of his ASD and SEVERE DYSLEXIA. Can't work without significant support, which we are endeavoring to provide him ourselves because ATW have no clue about Autism and say they can't help him. 

Yet Citizens advice advised that he should give up self-employed supported work; with a note from his GP to say he's not able to work unsupported, because DWP have messed up our notification of 'change of circumstance'!!!!!!!!!

Their is absolutely no way I'm asking my son to give up his 'Reason for living and only opportunity to contribute to society', just to appease the DWP!

What do these people want???????

Branded scroungers and lazy if you claim 'unfit for work' and advised to give up work if you have the desire, but no independent help or support; beyond your own family.

I've also been advise to attend court by CAB. When i tried to explain to CAB that as a carer of two on the spectrum, I have enough to contend with without having to go to court, he said he had no clue about ASD, but I should attend anyway!!!!! Really???????

How is this equality for those with disabilities??????

So B----y angry!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but i'm at the end of my tether.......Teenager sobbing inconsolably and disillusioned with a world filled with ignorance. The other in tears over an accident he's had. A disaster of a day

Is this really the message we want our youth to embrace?

Guess we are off to court to contest this. What a waste of money and a demoralizing time all round. Haven't people with ASD got enough to contend with????

God what a dreadful day.:(

Parents
  • I'm not a lawyer and can only offer my ideas about what you could do.

Do you have a friend or relative that would be willing to go with you to court?

Yes, gather all of the paperwork and go to the court. Not turning up would probably be a bad move.

Get there early and ask for assistance from the court officials. Explain your disability and ask what they think you should do.

I would try and make a written account of the events that you could submit to the court. Include your attempt to go and talk to the council last week

Start the account with a statement about your autism, that you have a doctor's diagnosis and that you believe that you should be covered by the Equality Act.

Say that you do not wish to represent yourself but you have no alternative.

Apologise for the trouble caused but say that you are overwhelmed and confused by all of the paperwork and the complexity of the benefits system. Say that you honestly don't think you owe any money.

Say that you are willing to talk to a council representative who is able to explain what the problem is.

Ask the court to postpone or adjourn the case whilst you get some advice and/or talk to the council to resolve the problem.

I don't think that the court will want to spend its time on going through the paperwork. They will probably want you to go away and sort out the problem with the council.Be prepared and show willing however.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect you to sort all of this on the phone. I think it should be a "reasonable adjustment" to ask to be able to talk to an official in person at their offices.

• I'm not a lawyer and can only offer my ideas about what you could do.

Do you have a friend or relative that would be willing to go with you to court?

Yes, gather all of the paperwork and go to the court. Not turning up would probably be a bad move.

Get there early and ask for assistance from the court officials. Explain your disability and ask what they think you should do.

I would try and make a written account of the events that you could submit to the court. Include your attempt to go and talk to the council last week

Start the account with a statement about your autism, that you have a doctor's diagnosis and that you believe that you should be covered by the Equality Act.

Say that you do not wish to represent yourself but you have no alternative.

Apologise for the trouble caused but say that you are overwhelmed and confused by all of the paperwork and the complexity of the benefits system. Say that you honestly don't think you owe any money.

Say that you are willing to talk to a council representative who is able to explain what the problem is.

Ask the court to postpone or adjourn the case whilst you get some advice and/or talk to the council to resolve the problem.

I don't think that the court will want to spend its time on going through the paperwork. They will probably want you to go away and sort out the problem with the council.Be prepared and show willing however.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect you to sort all of this on the phone. I think it should be a "reasonable adjustment" to ask to be able to talk to an official in person at their offices.

Children
No Data