living away from your daughter/ son

hi everyone iam new to this, my daughter had had autism for 30 years but was not diagnoised until she was 26, my husband and i have divorced 5 years ago and i now live 200 miles from her, i feel guilt i left her, my heath was in a bad way at the time, does anyone else live away from their sons /daughters, sorry its a bit long x

Parents
  • I live away from both my autistic son and daughter 

My son is 18 and in assisted living he's happy I visit he calls texts WhatsApps etc it's all nice to be fair but I also have the reassurance that he's got staff there to help 

My daughter 14 is another story which i have asked for advice on here too this situation isn't nice there's a lack of contact and the situation is hostile 

I think a large part of this is also dependant of the child (will allways be your child no matter the age) the severity of the condition and the help and support you know your child is receiving 

I would ask why so far away as it's quite a way away and would you be able to relocate

Do you still have an established relationship in regards to communication and if not how long for 

In terms.of guilt your human too your entitled to your own health to be looked after and I can totally relate to being emotionally drained fatigued and generally low mood as a result of parenting a person with complex needs 

If your in contact keep it established if not I do hope your in contact with a primary caregiver or she's able to give herself.apropriate self care and is living her best life

• I live away from both my autistic son and daughter 

My son is 18 and in assisted living he's happy I visit he calls texts WhatsApps etc it's all nice to be fair but I also have the reassurance that he's got staff there to help 

My daughter 14 is another story which i have asked for advice on here too this situation isn't nice there's a lack of contact and the situation is hostile 

I think a large part of this is also dependant of the child (will allways be your child no matter the age) the severity of the condition and the help and support you know your child is receiving 

I would ask why so far away as it's quite a way away and would you be able to relocate

Do you still have an established relationship in regards to communication and if not how long for 

In terms.of guilt your human too your entitled to your own health to be looked after and I can totally relate to being emotionally drained fatigued and generally low mood as a result of parenting a person with complex needs 

If your in contact keep it established if not I do hope your in contact with a primary caregiver or she's able to give herself.apropriate self care and is living her best life

Children