Hobbies and interests - members lists

I just thought I'd start a topic about what interests and hobbies we have.  Here's some of mine...

• Tabletop roleplaying games, especially "Doctor Who" (the FASA, Virgin, and Cubicle 7 ones), "Serenity", "Victoriana" and "GURPS".
  • Re-enactment and LARP events.
  • Collecting Doctor Who inspired LARP props.
  • Collecting replica historical coins.
  • Collecting fake pound coins.
  • Video games; mainly, Fallout 3 and GTA at present.
  • Voluntary work; for 15 years, I have been volunteering for a local nature conservation charity.
  • Reading; mainly non-fiction (although I do like Dr Who short story books and collections) such as the Victorian era/1800s, the UK home front during WW2, UK home defence during the Cold War, NBC warfare, special forces, Special Operations Executive, the Goth subculture, amongst others. 
  • Drawing (when I have the patience).
  • TV programmes such as Doctor Who (been a fan since the 1980s), Firefly, Torchwood, Time Team, QI, Have I Got News For You, etc. 
  • Music - Carl McCoy/Fields of the Nephilim/Nefilim, Last Rites, The Eden House, Katie Melua, Midnight Oil, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, etc.
  • All things Goth and the Goth subculture.

Parents
  • Just discovered this intyeresting thread. I feel a bit out of place (nothing unusual there!). I hate computers and have no interest whatsoever in how they work - I just want them to work and do what they're told. I wish there was a way of punisheing them when they don't!  I loathe computer games, role playing games, Dr Who, Star Wars (I hold a special hatred for everything to do with Star Wars in fact - though oddly, I like the early Star Trek a lot).  I dislike reading fictional books (though the few that I ever do get round to reading, I tend to enjoy - more a case of not picking them up in the first place if they're only fiction).

I'm interested in ecology, especially woodlands, landscape history and botany. I need to learn as much as I can about anything I'm seriously interested in, but as there is usually so much to know, I tend to refine interests into manageable sub-categories.  So for example, I'm interested in motorcycles. But only British or Italian motorcycles, and only those made before about 1980.  

I like to get a wreck of a bike and pull it apart, then rebuild it so that it ends up better than new. I love detail, down to every last nut and washer.  If I could afford it, and if I had the space, I'd be into things like old tractors, steam engines etc. To me, these things are not simply machines but works of art, examples of form and function colliding happily!

I get obsessed with particular issues, such as (at the moment) the Israel / Palestine crisis. I hate injustice (in case anyone's in any doubt, I'm strongly pro-Palestinian).  I'm also very interested in environmental issues in generral and habitat loss / deforestation in particular.

I like to write, but I tend to only wrtite factual stuff.  I have to do quite a lot of writing connected with my work, and I really enjoy getting deeply into my subject and doing as good a job as possible of explaining whatever I need to explain, and backing anything remotely controversial up with evidence and references.

I like writers who move me, and who speak for the underdog. I like poets such as John Clare, William Blake, Philip Larkin, Wilfred Owen, Robert Frost.

I wish I could play a musical instrument, but I'm too lazy to learn. I want to be able to do something good straightaway, not spend weeks on nothing.

That's about all I can think of to say for now. Other than to ask whether anybody knows why a paragraph break always comes out as a double line space on here?

• Just discovered this intyeresting thread. I feel a bit out of place (nothing unusual there!). I hate computers and have no interest whatsoever in how they work - I just want them to work and do what they're told. I wish there was a way of punisheing them when they don't!  I loathe computer games, role playing games, Dr Who, Star Wars (I hold a special hatred for everything to do with Star Wars in fact - though oddly, I like the early Star Trek a lot).  I dislike reading fictional books (though the few that I ever do get round to reading, I tend to enjoy - more a case of not picking them up in the first place if they're only fiction).

I'm interested in ecology, especially woodlands, landscape history and botany. I need to learn as much as I can about anything I'm seriously interested in, but as there is usually so much to know, I tend to refine interests into manageable sub-categories.  So for example, I'm interested in motorcycles. But only British or Italian motorcycles, and only those made before about 1980.  

I like to get a wreck of a bike and pull it apart, then rebuild it so that it ends up better than new. I love detail, down to every last nut and washer.  If I could afford it, and if I had the space, I'd be into things like old tractors, steam engines etc. To me, these things are not simply machines but works of art, examples of form and function colliding happily!

I get obsessed with particular issues, such as (at the moment) the Israel / Palestine crisis. I hate injustice (in case anyone's in any doubt, I'm strongly pro-Palestinian).  I'm also very interested in environmental issues in generral and habitat loss / deforestation in particular.

I like to write, but I tend to only wrtite factual stuff.  I have to do quite a lot of writing connected with my work, and I really enjoy getting deeply into my subject and doing as good a job as possible of explaining whatever I need to explain, and backing anything remotely controversial up with evidence and references.

I like writers who move me, and who speak for the underdog. I like poets such as John Clare, William Blake, Philip Larkin, Wilfred Owen, Robert Frost.

I wish I could play a musical instrument, but I'm too lazy to learn. I want to be able to do something good straightaway, not spend weeks on nothing.

That's about all I can think of to say for now. Other than to ask whether anybody knows why a paragraph break always comes out as a double line space on here?

Children
No Data