Is it ethical to correct those with whom you disagree?

This is something I really struggle with.  If i see something I disagree with, then I am almost compelled by my sense of ethics to try and correct it.  I see many others who take a different attitude and they are probably happier than I am. As they are not involved in constant debates.

I think ultimately this is just my personality now and I cannot change it.  I just wondered if anyone else has anything to say on this subject?

Parents
  • Maybe you could ask yourself why you need to be correct, why the point of view of others is wrong, Im not talking about things that we all know are wrong, like child abuse, but things that inhabit a grey area, like religion, politics, how we pack our shopping or what pegs we use to hang our clothes on the line?

It all sounds very uncomfortable, you must be in an almost constant state of anxiety about ordinary things being done "wrong"?

• I understand that it your opinion that politics and religion inhabit a grey area but this is not an opinion shared by everyone.  Who's to say you are right and other people are wrong?

• Isn't "who's to say you are right and other people are wrong" the entire crux of all debate, though? It applies to absolutely everyone.

Reply Children
No Data