URGENT-ADVICE FOR H.E. STUDENT PLEASE

Is it possible to ask for an alternative assessment? I have ADHD, Asperger's and some dyslexic issues (not yet screened). I have terrible difficulty structuring and organising written work and I have always had to request extensions. It is causing me serious mental and physical distress. On this occasion, I cannot put sentences in an order that makes sense or find the words to articulate my thoughts. (I realise that I am articulate when talking about the difficulties I have, but only about those can I express myself clearly.) It is very unlikely that I will complete the current task. I have been attempting to make progress for the last four days (working solidly) with little success. I am mentally exhausted. My grades are otherwise excellent but essays are the major part of assessment on my course. I do not lack knowledge of how to write an essay. (Ironically, I have a qualification to teach English and my professional background is in Education. 

My DSA award has not come through yet so I have been unable to obtain the study help from NAS (if that would help, I do not know. I have tried all other sources.)

I appreciate any feedback.

Parents
  • It’s always possible to ask. But I’m curious what alternatives you think might be appropriate. Oral examination? At the end of the day they can refuse reasonable adjustments if it’s necessary in order to maintain academic standards. Of course if it’s merely a matter of preference or convenience to examine you in a certain way that’s not likely to be covered by the need to maintain academic standards.

ultimately you’re just gonna have to talk to them and find out.

• It’s always possible to ask. But I’m curious what alternatives you think might be appropriate. Oral examination? At the end of the day they can refuse reasonable adjustments if it’s necessary in order to maintain academic standards. Of course if it’s merely a matter of preference or convenience to examine you in a certain way that’s not likely to be covered by the need to maintain academic standards.

ultimately you’re just gonna have to talk to them and find out.

Children
No Data