URGENT-ADVICE FOR H.E. STUDENT PLEASE

Is it possible to ask for an alternative assessment? I have ADHD, Asperger's and some dyslexic issues (not yet screened). I have terrible difficulty structuring and organising written work and I have always had to request extensions. It is causing me serious mental and physical distress. On this occasion, I cannot put sentences in an order that makes sense or find the words to articulate my thoughts. (I realise that I am articulate when talking about the difficulties I have, but only about those can I express myself clearly.) It is very unlikely that I will complete the current task. I have been attempting to make progress for the last four days (working solidly) with little success. I am mentally exhausted. My grades are otherwise excellent but essays are the major part of assessment on my course. I do not lack knowledge of how to write an essay. (Ironically, I have a qualification to teach English and my professional background is in Education. 

My DSA award has not come through yet so I have been unable to obtain the study help from NAS (if that would help, I do not know. I have tried all other sources.)

I appreciate any feedback.

Parents
  • If you are interested in alternative forms of assessment you will need to talk directly to your university's disability department as they will be the ones who know the criteria for your university.

It may be that with support from a study skills advisor (I assume that's what you're referring to) you do learn the skill of how to do essays, but in the mean time definitely reach out to the disability support and explain the extent of the struggle you are having. 

• If you are interested in alternative forms of assessment you will need to talk directly to your university's disability department as they will be the ones who know the criteria for your university.

It may be that with support from a study skills advisor (I assume that's what you're referring to) you do learn the skill of how to do essays, but in the mean time definitely reach out to the disability support and explain the extent of the struggle you are having. 

Children
  • Sorry, this is supplementary. A former tutor once raised the possibility of an alternative assessment if we could think of a suitable equivalent. I do not know what that might be.  As a former teacher, I know most of the strategies, but alas, none work for me. Moreover, the difficulties seem to have increased as I have tried to implement them without success.

• Hi. I am in touch with Student Services and my tutor requested an urgent support session last week, but as my DSA award has not come through the support from NAS is not in place and I have only been given three extra days to complete the current work and I am exhausted.