Transitioning to university from 6th form

Hi!

I am applying for university to start in September 2025. I want to study chemistry. I am mainly looking at Bath because it's pretty close to home and apparently they are good for neurodiversity/autism???

I wondered if anyone had any advice about transitioning to uni for someone who is autistic?

I have recently (this summer!) been diagnosed with autism, which has explained a LOT! 

Thank you for reading/replying if you do (:

Lilia 

Parents
  • Lilia, Do you have the necessary non academic skills to cope with university?Those  would be independent living skills

• I enjoy cooking (: 

Ummm I am not sure what other independent living skills I need.

I struggled lots with the change from secondary school to 6th form and that wasn't even really a big change - It was still at the same school. I had just gone through a VERY stressful time doing my GCSEs and I had no support back then. I tend to starve myself when I am anxious which isn't very good. I am hoping as I will most likely be having some support this time round it will make the transition to uni and the sitting of my A levels easier. The future does seem very scary to think about at the moment though! 

• I enjoy cooking (: 

Ummm I am not sure what other independent living skills I need.

I struggled lots with the change from secondary school to 6th form and that wasn't even really a big change - It was still at the same school. I had just gone through a VERY stressful time doing my GCSEs and I had no support back then. I tend to starve myself when I am anxious which isn't very good. I am hoping as I will most likely be having some support this time round it will make the transition to uni and the sitting of my A levels easier. The future does seem very scary to think about at the moment though! 

Children
  • I am not sure what other independent living skills I need.

I would think it is a list something like:

1 - can you manage a budget to make sure you have enough for bills like rent, utilities, insurance, food, clothes, books, subscriptions, uni fees, travel back home at end of term, moving your stuff back home, birthday and christmas presents for those closest to you etc. These also need to be scheduled for payment so time organisation is also useful here.

2 - can you plan a diet for yourself that makes sure you eat enough and of a good enough balance to stay healthy? This includes drinks too.

3 - can you contact companies to arrange your personal effects to be shipped back home if needed? Can you co-ordinate with a repairman if your place needs a repair (eg bust pipe, electrical issue, loss of water / electricity, gas etc)? Being there to let them in and check they are not going through your stuff is useful.

4 - If you fall ill, can you get yourself treatment? In the worst case you need someone you trust to make some decisions for you (eg meltdown or unconcious)

5 - Can you keep the place clean on a regular basis, keep up to date with dishes & laundry and get the food shopping in to stop going hungry or needing to spend money eating out.

I think this covers most of the key areas but there will be others (eg how would you deal with the situation where you lost your phone) that are less predictable.

Some planning is required for all these and possibly asking for others advice on how they do it as there are often tips on how to do it that are not obvious to us.

Once you get over the shock of how much time all this takes and the novelty factor, it becomes just another chore like bathing & brushing your teeth that you do without thinking about it.

Don't let the scale and scope put you off - this is all just part of adulting and something worth learning now as you will need it in any case for the rest of your life.