Transitioning to university from 6th form

Hi!

I am applying for university to start in September 2025. I want to study chemistry. I am mainly looking at Bath because it's pretty close to home and apparently they are good for neurodiversity/autism???

I wondered if anyone had any advice about transitioning to uni for someone who is autistic?

I have recently (this summer!) been diagnosed with autism, which has explained a LOT! 

Thank you for reading/replying if you do (:

Lilia 

Parents
  • I didn't know I was autistic when I went to uni but with hindsight would recommend setting strong boundaries and not forcing yourself to do something you don't want to just to be sociable and keep up with everyone else. If you have the option, maybe try to get a room of your own, so you have a safe space to escape to when needed. Hope you enjoy uni xx

• I didn't know I was autistic when I went to uni but with hindsight would recommend setting strong boundaries and not forcing yourself to do something you don't want to just to be sociable and keep up with everyone else. If you have the option, maybe try to get a room of your own, so you have a safe space to escape to when needed. Hope you enjoy uni xx

Children
  • I agree with pretty much all of that. I wasn’t diagnosed at Uni either (it was 25 years ago) but the 'going out with your flatmates to try and make friends' bit of my 1st year was a waste if everyone's time. Being close to home might also be good, I was a 5hr train journey away and I found that hard. Aside from the social aspects, the big difference is that nobody's imposing a schedule on you most of the time. I worked out various timings which worked for me, the most important of which was making sure to have essays written in good time.