Anyone else like cooking?

I love to cook, I think I'm going to be spending the next few days making pickled onions and chutney as I've just cleared all the tomato plants from the garden and have loads of half rip ones.

I took a Yottam Ottalengi recipe book out of the library yesterday, I started drooling almost as soon as I started looking at it, unfortunately I think you need at least 6 people to feed as nearly all of it can't really be frozen and it dosen't look like you could realistically make smaller amounts.

I've started baking again too, I love baking, but I don't have a very sweet tooth and I crap at all the fancy icing and stuff, still no reason for not making a lovely moist apple cake, or a light carrot cake.

Parents
  • I love cooking I have a few cookery books and i experiment with food. I have made pies chicken and vegetable and I made the mixture just right and I have also made a mince beef and onion pie again turned out extremely well. 

• If I cut some the recipes in half then I'd be roasting a quarter of a butternut squash or something and it's just not worth the effort of the electricity. I often scale recipes up or down, I'v enever understood how people who can confidently cook a roast dinner for example for 4 freak out at cooking one for 8 or 12, you just double or triple the ingredients.

I used to make lots of pies, but not so much anymore as I don't eat meat or fish and Mum finds to much pastry upsets her tummy. My best invention has been leek, mushroom and chestnut pasties.

It's lucky that I enjoy cooking as there are so many things I can't eat, I do wish I had better access to more food shops, I don't like buying online, the delivery is expensive and I like to see what I'm getting.

I'd happilly cook for you Mark, if you sorted my tech problems, I love skill swapping, I think there should be more of it.

• If I cut some the recipes in half then I'd be roasting a quarter of a butternut squash or something and it's just not worth the effort of the electricity. I often scale recipes up or down, I'v enever understood how people who can confidently cook a roast dinner for example for 4 freak out at cooking one for 8 or 12, you just double or triple the ingredients.

I used to make lots of pies, but not so much anymore as I don't eat meat or fish and Mum finds to much pastry upsets her tummy. My best invention has been leek, mushroom and chestnut pasties.

It's lucky that I enjoy cooking as there are so many things I can't eat, I do wish I had better access to more food shops, I don't like buying online, the delivery is expensive and I like to see what I'm getting.

I'd happilly cook for you Mark, if you sorted my tech problems, I love skill swapping, I think there should be more of it.

Children
  • I've just made a load of red and green tomato chutney to my own recipe, it has sherry vinegar and Chinese 5 spice and is really different and more-ish, goes well with cheese on toast. Tonights dinner will be a quick and easy Thai Red Curry, in bowls on our laps whilst we watch Strictly.

I'm going to have to make a trip to Bangor for supplies early next week, it seems there are no whole dried chillis on the island, loads of crushed, flakes and ground ones, but no whole ones for popping into a jar of pickled onions.

• If I ever move to Wales, then you're on! I totally agree. about skill swapping.