I've never had so much trouble giving stuff away

I went to take some clothes to a charity shop yesterday, the first one I tried don't take donations on a tuesday, the other one asked me if I had an appointment, I was confused and asked why I needed an appointment to drop a few clothes off? The woman went round the back and asked another woman if they could "fit me in to take the clothes", the second woman came out and told me she'd have to see if they had an appointment space available, I told her I'd never had so many problems giving stuff away before and that I had other things I needed to do that day, she went off on one told me I was rude and that they have to have appointments for donations as all the other charity shops are full and they're the ones who get dumped on. I walked out, I don't want to give them stuff if thats their attitude, which is a shame because they're the local hospice.

All these charities go on about wanting donations and yet they seem to be getting ever fussier about what they'll take and when. It all seems to be the givers fault too, for not knowing thier rules, I was chased after by one charity shop worker because I'd donated some cutlery and they no longer take knives, I thought you could of done more damage with a teaspoon than the knives as they were just normal eating stuff. I've seen clothes sold more expensively in charity shops than they are new and many of them are no longer taking books, even though they sell well.

It's really peeing me off that it's easier to throw good stuff away than take it to a charity shop and they seem so ungrateful and rude, I don't expect a medal, just a thank you.

What's your experience of charity shops?

Parents
  • I mean to be fair that was kinda rude. She was only trying to help you at the end of the day. You didn’t need to say that you had other places to be etc. that kinda makes you sound more important than everyone else who has to wait for an appointment. Just a bit of advice maybe try going into these situations with a level head it’s really not a big deal or something to get so worked up over. It’s only old clothes they probably get tons of old clothes and get paid minimum wage or work there as volunteers and probably don’t need someone giving them hassle over old clothes. 

• I mean to be fair that was kinda rude. She was only trying to help you at the end of the day. You didn’t need to say that you had other places to be etc. that kinda makes you sound more important than everyone else who has to wait for an appointment. Just a bit of advice maybe try going into these situations with a level head it’s really not a big deal or something to get so worked up over. It’s only old clothes they probably get tons of old clothes and get paid minimum wage or work there as volunteers and probably don’t need someone giving them hassle over old clothes. 

Children
  • To be fair I was very busy, and I get fed up of everybody elses time being more important then mine, seeing as you were not present with me, you have no idea of the general attitude of the staff which was hostile and rude. I'm sure many people wouldn't want their time taken up like this unexpectedly, what if you've got to go to work, pick up your kids from school, get home for other reasons, have 101 things to do. Why is it always the person who ends up having to wait for ages always in the wrong?