I've never had so much trouble giving stuff away

I went to take some clothes to a charity shop yesterday, the first one I tried don't take donations on a tuesday, the other one asked me if I had an appointment, I was confused and asked why I needed an appointment to drop a few clothes off? The woman went round the back and asked another woman if they could "fit me in to take the clothes", the second woman came out and told me she'd have to see if they had an appointment space available, I told her I'd never had so many problems giving stuff away before and that I had other things I needed to do that day, she went off on one told me I was rude and that they have to have appointments for donations as all the other charity shops are full and they're the ones who get dumped on. I walked out, I don't want to give them stuff if thats their attitude, which is a shame because they're the local hospice.

All these charities go on about wanting donations and yet they seem to be getting ever fussier about what they'll take and when. It all seems to be the givers fault too, for not knowing thier rules, I was chased after by one charity shop worker because I'd donated some cutlery and they no longer take knives, I thought you could of done more damage with a teaspoon than the knives as they were just normal eating stuff. I've seen clothes sold more expensively in charity shops than they are new and many of them are no longer taking books, even though they sell well.

It's really peeing me off that it's easier to throw good stuff away than take it to a charity shop and they seem so ungrateful and rude, I don't expect a medal, just a thank you.

What's your experience of charity shops?

Parents
  • Most charity shops stopped taking electrical items.

Prices are really expensive e.g. branded top £9 which is sale price in a retail shop. Absolutely ridiculous as people are struggling with cost of living. 

I'd overheard that some volunteers are refusing donations (the manager had words with the volunteers); assistant store manager moaning about lack of volunteers (since covid); and taking personal phone calls. Ended up walking out due to the talking. 

Prefer one local charity shop which prices things cheap. I look for good quality and any faults. Also you take the donations to the community hub. 

Knives and scissors usually put in the recycling bin and wrapped up.

• Some of ours still take them I think they must have an electrician who volunteers to PACT test them?

I did manage to drop the stuff off today at the one that was closed for donations yesterday, I dumped the stuff and legged it, in case they came chasing after me again asking me to take the donations back.

I think nearly all the local ones and the ones in Bangor are expensive, I miss jumble sales where you could have a really good rummage and get stuff for pennies. One of the things I found out some years ago is that an area manager decides what donations are "good enough" for your local branch, or rather that should be crap enough as they'd take anything of good quality and leave the "rubbish" which was good enough for us apparently.

Many of our charity shops have closed down, they've not been replaced by other shops or anything, theres just boarded up shops. I don't know if it's a lack of volunteers or what, but I suspect it might be to do with the increasing professionalistion of charity shops. In layout they seem more like "normal" high street clothes shops with everything laid out just so, they still seem to be full of tat though and expensive tat at that.

Should charity shops be more professional or should they be left as places where bargains can be obtained at fairly low prices if you're prepared to have a good look? Personally I'd prefer to have more stuff in the shops at lower prices ans I certainly don't want somebody looking at me all snotty because I've not bought something.

• Some of ours still take them I think they must have an electrician who volunteers to PACT test them?

I did manage to drop the stuff off today at the one that was closed for donations yesterday, I dumped the stuff and legged it, in case they came chasing after me again asking me to take the donations back.

I think nearly all the local ones and the ones in Bangor are expensive, I miss jumble sales where you could have a really good rummage and get stuff for pennies. One of the things I found out some years ago is that an area manager decides what donations are "good enough" for your local branch, or rather that should be crap enough as they'd take anything of good quality and leave the "rubbish" which was good enough for us apparently.

Many of our charity shops have closed down, they've not been replaced by other shops or anything, theres just boarded up shops. I don't know if it's a lack of volunteers or what, but I suspect it might be to do with the increasing professionalistion of charity shops. In layout they seem more like "normal" high street clothes shops with everything laid out just so, they still seem to be full of tat though and expensive tat at that.

Should charity shops be more professional or should they be left as places where bargains can be obtained at fairly low prices if you're prepared to have a good look? Personally I'd prefer to have more stuff in the shops at lower prices ans I certainly don't want somebody looking at me all snotty because I've not bought something.

Children