Can you afford your special interests?

We hear so much about autistic people and special interests and so many people have them and enjoy them, but we never hear about people who can't afford them, what do they do?

I can't afford mine, I love early medieval history and things associated with it, such as archeology, but I can't afford it, I could easily spend £3-400 on books every month, many of the books I'd like are out of print or in limited print runs and cost between £80 and £200, I've looked online and many are as expensive as ebooks as they are print editions, if they exist as ebooks at all. Many journals are expensive too and online resourses are too and many are really aimed at organisations such as universities rather than private people.

It's frustrating to have an interest that I find so consuming, but can't afford to follow or find others to even talk about it with, but then how many people know the Anglo-Saxon conversion period even existed, let alone know anything about it?

Parents
  • Yes Slight smile

I find plenty of novels to read with a monthly kindle subscription of £9.49 per month, and game subscriptions for my Xbox are £14.99 per month (game pass or Ubisoft+) Plus I have some games I've purchased that I play again from time to time. I'm also currently doing OU open learn courses online, which are free.

• I love my kindle subscription too, I was top reader 6 weeks in a row! For me it's really good value for money as I can read a book a day, I just wish there were more non fiction works on subscription and that I could zoom in on the maps and things, I love maps. There are things about the kindle that I don't find so good for non fiction, not just maps but glosseries and notes, I can't flick back and forward like I can with a paper book.

I had a look at OU open learn courses and none of them really grabbed me.

I can find bits and pieces later periods of history that will interest me, but not enough to make me want to learn more, although I can go off on quite a polemic/diatribe about the so called enlightenment which is well out of my normal areas of interest.

• I found my reading glasses and dusted off a book I was half way through 12 months ago, then before I knew it I'd read the 3 I had gathered in recent years and hadn't started. Felt good to get back into reading.

It made me think I might get a Kindle, sounds like they're worth it?

• I found my reading glasses and dusted off a book I was half way through 12 months ago, then before I knew it I'd read the 3 I had gathered in recent years and hadn't started. Felt good to get back into reading.

It made me think I might get a Kindle, sounds like they're worth it?

Children
No Data