Can you afford your special interests?

We hear so much about autistic people and special interests and so many people have them and enjoy them, but we never hear about people who can't afford them, what do they do?

I can't afford mine, I love early medieval history and things associated with it, such as archeology, but I can't afford it, I could easily spend £3-400 on books every month, many of the books I'd like are out of print or in limited print runs and cost between £80 and £200, I've looked online and many are as expensive as ebooks as they are print editions, if they exist as ebooks at all. Many journals are expensive too and online resourses are too and many are really aimed at organisations such as universities rather than private people.

It's frustrating to have an interest that I find so consuming, but can't afford to follow or find others to even talk about it with, but then how many people know the Anglo-Saxon conversion period even existed, let alone know anything about it?

Parents
  • This is such an interesting question and thread, thanks for raising it as it's so interesting to see everyone's take on the cost issue. 

I'm a little stuck between a yes and a no on this one. My main special interest is, and has always been (since my 1980s childhood) Doctor Who. 

There's always been a bit of a battle between completionism urges and self control.

At the minimum, in the present era of Who output, I must:

Pay my telly licence (I watch other stuff too of course) to legally watch the newest episodes.

Get each month's Doctor Who Magazine

Buy one or more of the audio adventures monthly

Buy the Bluray Season sets as they come out (2-3 times a year) - this having already bought all the stories individually as VHSs, audios, DVDs over the years as things evolved

Get the books (largely factual/biographical) that most interest me

At a maximum, I would hope to:

All of the above, plus eventually get all the audio stories. 

That last is something of a vain hope. In the early days, the company licensed to make them had one or two new Doctor Whos and associated spin-offs come out per month. Now, between various strands, there could be as many as 5 or 6 in a given month. Short of a lottery win... I must come to terms with never making up the lost ground. 

Despite how it may sound, I'm basically an essentialist: it's the complete expanded canon that I'm fascinated with/invested in, so things like action figures, merch, collectables etc. are not a big part of my fan experience, and to be honest I'm not sure how anyone could afford to keep on top of all that - though fair play to them if they manage to.

While Doctor Who is my first love, adjacent fandoms also have a place in my heart, so I will be unable for instance to resist buying the Blake's 7 Blu-ray collector sets shortly to come out - with all those new lovingly made documentaries etc. as 'extras' that's too essential a purchase not to make. 

Other series I've bought on DVD over the years: Sapphire and Steel, The Tomorrow People, Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures, Doomwatch, The Omega Factor, Star Cops....

Of course that's been over decades. But it's no wonder that I always had more debt than any glimmer of savings. I hope to be able to change that soon, remembering to keep essentialism as my guiding principle...

• I'm going to ask for Blakes Seven for my birthday or Christmas. Sapphire and Steel was ace. Though, the 'element' thing still irks me for both - Silver and Lead were OK Joy. I'm not a huge Whovian, but I do have the Shada bluray (as much for Douglas Adams as DW) and another Tom Baker set (S14). I've been watching some on iPlayer.

• I'm going to ask for Blakes Seven for my birthday or Christmas. Sapphire and Steel was ace. Though, the 'element' thing still irks me for both - Silver and Lead were OK Joy. I'm not a huge Whovian, but I do have the Shada bluray (as much for Douglas Adams as DW) and another Tom Baker set (S14). I've been watching some on iPlayer.

Children
  • I watched City of Death about three months ago, and for the first time since it was broadcast! They may have redone the titles, because I think it said Douglas Adams? (Don't quote me - my memory is notoriously shoddy, and maybe I just knew.) The funny thing is how I remember very clearly the hieroglyphic type pictures. I must have been 9. I started watching from my first Doctor - Jon Pertwee with Jo. (Kind of reliving my youth, which I am doing a lot recently) When I saw him as a child, it may have been repeats, so a year or so after first broadcast, but he was still my first Doctor. Even nearly 50 years later, the blue crystal (Planet of the Spiders?) was still lodged in my mind, and I was jolted back 50 years when I saw it (quite apt, seeing as this is all about time travel... well not so much Jon's era, but you know what I mean.)

I've paused watching, and am still only on Tom, but I watched a lot of episodes! One of the things that struck me was that despite Leela sadly being there as eye candy (totally passed me by as a kid), she was the most kick-a*se of the lot. A total equal. Not scared or anything or anyone.

Like the S&S 'head canon'

• Shada is top-tier, as you'd expect with Adams writing! He did co-write one other too, City of Death which is excellent. Under the nom de plume of David Agnew, but it's very much his voice. Just in case you fancy giving that a whirl. He script edited that whole 1979 season too. Apologies, you might already know all that!

Yes, the elements thing... hmmm. Well, my wee bit of 'head canon' for that is that as the humans in S&S have so little understanding of reality's true fabric, the mysterious powers that be know something we don't about why those fit the bill! Or just thought 'elements' was a cool group designation.