The neurodivergence movement

It seems to be geared towards getting from the system that which the most able within the autistic community regard as desirable.

• With the express exception of your words "but do they really?" I do strongly agree with the spirit and importance of your opinion on these matters.  Whether we like it or not, whether we are autistic or not, whether we have been pathologised or not.........sooner or later, we simply have to just get on with life, in the best way we can.....whether we feel we have adequate support, or not, and irrespective of whether it is fair or otherwise.  The world keeps turning.

• Do you think it's possible that people are over encouraged to to see everything through a lens of autism? If young people have been diagnosed early and have got all the "help" they need, then everything they've learned about the world will be viewed through the autistic lens. I think part of the problem is that once you leave education, the support stops or you're expected to cope with a much lower level of support and be more independent.

I see so many posts on here, from all ages, parents of child who've been recently diagnosed, to people like myself who were diagnosed later in life and the differences are vast, it's like we've lost sight of the commonalities between humans. An autistic child acts out and because of the autism they get further labled and pathologised, they're not being naughty or anything, but have PDA or something, but do they really? Or are they just asserting themselves in the world in the only way they know how, by acting out, becoming fussy eaters, taking their shoes off or something that nearly all children do?

• I feel that the more people try to be different, the more we are the same.

Can't we just get back to the Raggy Dolls?

• I'm rambling now!

No, you're not.  Every word, a gem.

• Please don't get me wrong. I think it has the potential to be a very good thing. That however  requires an approach  that is aimed at getting the best for where a person is on the spectrum. What is good for the very able may not be ideal for the moderately able,for example. For want of a better phrase - a 'horses for courses approach'.

• And that is for people who are able to communicate in a way the majority understands.

Like I said I don't do all the social online stuff. Autism seems to be a strong part of some people's identity....which it is because it's how we are wired. But I mean it becomes a predominant part of their.....external world. I cannot explain what I mean. People can do as they choose but I won't be walking round with an "autistic and proud" t-shirt if that makes any sense? It's actually a very personal matter and I use the label to help frame difficulties that I face in relation to the predominant neurotype. It's who we are but not the be-all and end-all.... (but it kind of is because it's fundamental brain operations). Other facets also make up our identity. 

I'm rambling now!

• Good point about speaking on behalf of others. Though taking that to its conclusion, it means we can only speak for ourselves, because where is the 'line' that says someone else is 'similar' enough that they can speak for you?

• I don't think it was actually the rioting that changed anyone's mind on these issues. (In my opinion)

• by starting a riot as I recall ... Not that I'm adocating that sort of thing ... in the curent political climet <_<

• I’m new to all of this so the only point of reference for me would be how the LGBT community campaigned successfully for rights and equality 

• I was having a conversation with some people at a local aspergers group on tusday and they observed 'you can be labled as low functioning and have your potential minamised or high functioning / aspergers and have your needs minamised.'

NTs may not well understand what LF autistics needs are but they recognise they have needs. The HF autistic / aspergers person isn't even seen as having needs. So yes HF autistics probably are focusing on that more. Maybe we should make more of a fuss over the waisted potential of LF autistics ... but it's hard to lecture others on things you've no personal experence on.

• I don't follow any of this movement. Are you speaking about younguns on social media or the fact more people are opening up and talking about it? I can't help feeling some of it is lip service for places of work and others to say "yep we have awareness". 

In understanding yourself you come to understand others. I appreciate neurodivergent folk have it tough. In an ideal world, it would encompass both ND and NT as we ALL have to get along with each other. I mean awareness works both ways.

While awareness is a positive thing, It makes me a bit uncomfortable that people might seemingly be speaking on behalf of others without them knowing about it. We are a varied bunch and I am just myself. Does it include those who are autistic who have learning difficulties and live less independently? What about undiagnosed eccentric folk who just want a quiet life? 

What I would desire is for people to understand my literal modes of communication in particular in formal settings. This will never happen with all the awareness and adjustments in the world because it's a fundamental difference.  

The internet these days means momentum of movements is gained fairly rapidly. The squeakiest wheels get the oil! We live in a conspicuous society and so much these days are opinion pieces without drawing on any proper research or science. Autism describes how my brain works, I am a member here but wouldn't want to commit myself to any particular group.

Sorry it was meant to reply to the OP.

• Maybe you should put your bit in too FM? Let the youngsters do the campaigning for thier older neurokin, just make sure your needs are heard too. I would take my own advice if I knew how to contact this movement, like so many other things in life, I'd never heard of this movement, until I read your post that is.

I think us older ones should definately get in on the act, they will be us in a few years time with all the problems about menopause, aging and possible dementia. They may even be happy to be asked?

• You may be right. I don't think it is intentional.

The 'movement' when I have encountered it seems to be fuelled by youngsters with the enthusiasm of youth. It (a movement) has never happened before, so hats off to them, I personally see it as largely positive. I don't have a fully formed opinion yet because I'm "new" to the whole thing.

What do you think that you would like to change about it?

• Of course it works most for people who can regard themselves as 'equal but different', for the truly unequal it is concept with limited usefulness and applicability.