Chats

I’ll be honest, one of the reasons I feel like I can’t properly immerse myself in this forum is down to how public it is. Along with the fact i have never felt comfortable in a group of people, and essentially that’s just what this place is. Years ago yahoo chat and msn worked for me, the general asl gave you a clue who you might click with, and more often than not you’d start a private chat. Eventually you’d click with someone (or a few people) and form an online friendship. I miss that! 

So I’m putting myself out there, if anyone feels similar, message me. I don’t bite, we might not click, we might well click, who knows.  

• That’s fair enough. 

• Thanks for your long reply. That sounds like way too much work ha! It’s also the group aspect, I’ve never felt comfortable in that kind of setting. 

• Do you have any word on what new improvements there will be?  I am hoping for improvements that encourage more harmony on the forum and less discord.  I think we should be able to block users that we don't get along with.  As it stands many people leave the forum. And many long time members need lots of time away  from it.

• HMO raised a good point about suggesting the potential neutrality / anonymous aspect made available via shared interests.

How about "the natural environment" - that might lend itself to a more anonymous series of threads.  You need not make it as personal as for some other topics.

For example, if there were a thread to do with the coastline - it is not necessary to describe personally identifiable details by saying where you have visited (as just an interesting a conversation might be conducted about places people had heard about and why that sounded attractive).

E.g. I enjoy rugged coastlines rather than the bucket and spade style.  There are some new stretches of coastal paths which have been opened up around the UK during the years since I last walked a stretch of a UK coastal path.  Once I along one of those walks I was surprised to spot a large area of the invasive plant "Japanese Knotweed" adjacent to the footpath (you can imagine I very carefully quarantined my walking trainers at the end of the walk until I could clean them super thoroughly!) ...and so forth (would you feel comfortable about that type of neutral chat?

If someone takes a conversation down a too personal trajectory you do not have to follow - a redirect is always your prerogative.

To extend such a thread - some other people like plants / insects / wildlife / photography / sunsets etc. any of which such topics could be woven into "the natural environment" or "coastline" thread ...still anonymously.

No need to respond quickly - or at all - why not mull it over to suit yourself.

• I get that but shared interests won't make you identifiable. It would be difficult for someone to decide to reach out to you without that.

• Hi Ginger Cat

We want to reassure you and everyone else using the Online Community. The existing Online Community will be hosted by an improved forum platform by the end of September 2024. There will be some improvements and updates but it will not be a new forum and there will not be a monthly fee for users.

Many thanks

Sharon Mod

• Hi. I just want to let you know that I'm getting this weird error message in my PM's at the moment.  So I can't reply to you.

• That’s good that it works for you on some level :) 

• But I don't do great with conversations so think just adding comments to threads like this is the most I can manage. That does make me feel part of a group and I find it feels good. 

• Yes I understand what your saying there. I do write some posts but also feel dread if I write anything what if I get ignored...don't want to add to rejection pain. 

• I will happily converse with anyone. Feel free to send me  a` friend request and private message.

• Thank you, I’m not new here though :) I rarely post as I find it difficult to interact with many people. So I just read occasionally. 

• Yes I do get that, but as I said I’m really not comfortable revealing anything personal about myself on a public forum where anyone can see, and possibly put 2 and 2 together and have someone work out who I am.

I also really do struggle with posting in large groups. 

• Thanks, I knew about the new forum but not about the charges. 

• There’s another forum coming soon, it’s not public but you have to pay a monthly fee. 

• So I’m putting myself out there, if anyone feels similar, message me. I don’t bite, we might not click, we might well click, who knows.

This is a nice sentiment, putting yourself out there, but I think what would help is if you shared a bit more about your hobbies and interests. I think shared interests would leave more room for healthy conversation.

• if anyone feels similar, message me

I heard the above phrase as the central point of your post.  I hope I have understood correctly.

Unfortunately, I am not comfortable using the message process on this current incarnation of our Forum. 

Maybe on experience of our Community's new Forum (scheduled to launch later this year) I might review that adjudication.

At the risk of further frustrating you (due to communication via my preferred post, instead of your preferred message); I at least wish to offer to you: "hello" and "welcome".

• And this pretty much is why this place doesn’t help me in the slightest. Ignored in the real world, ignored online. Excellent!