Nightmare train journey

Just letting off steam... Not diagnosed autistic (yet), but this is the sort of thing which happens to me.

I had to undertake a relatively short (hour or so) train journey at the weekend. Signalling failure meant that there were loads of cancellations. When services resumed obviously there was a massive backlog of people which meant that trains were rammed. Instead of sitting down I spent the journey standing, pressed hard against others. Added to this there was the constant noise of groups of people talking all at once. At every stop, more people would attempt to squeeze into the already packed carriage. Inevitably, the journey took much longer than it was supposed to. By the time I reached my destination, I was pretty well shut down and it took me several minutes before I even realised that we were at the terminus where I was supposed to get off. Shuffling out of the station amid the crowds, trying to avoid any more physical contact with people, I would flinch whenever anyone so much as brushed against me. Outside the station I had to leave my group immediately and get as far as possible from the crowds to try to decompress. Having been shaking physically to the point that I thought I was going to collapse, I eventually recovered to the point where I was just twitching internally, and finally back to "normal".

Now, this may not be autism, but it's one of the things which leads some people to suspect it.

Parents
  • Three weeks ago, it took me six hours to get from Cambridge to Worcester on the train. Last week, my train from Winnersh to Waterloo was delayed by over two hours. £25 for the privilege of receiving this 'service'. I get stressed just thinking about getting the train. Unbelievably bad in the sixth richest country in the world. Even my wife (no Communist) says, 'It's all to do with privatisation.'

• Three weeks ago, it took me six hours to get from Cambridge to Worcester on the train. Last week, my train from Winnersh to Waterloo was delayed by over two hours. £25 for the privilege of receiving this 'service'. I get stressed just thinking about getting the train. Unbelievably bad in the sixth richest country in the world. Even my wife (no Communist) says, 'It's all to do with privatisation.'

Children