Should I get this vehicle offered?

I was offered, by my mechanic, a Volkswagen Tiguan Jeep, two-litre Diesel, Automatic, freshly through the MOT and worth Nine Grand.

It's considering carrying my friend's mobility scooter, should we go on an adventure.

How much would she be to insure? I received mixed messages about a Polo having enough room at the back; to carry a mobility scooter.

What do you Chaps think?

Parents
  • How much would she be to insure?

I would get online quotes for insurance for this - the 2L diesel can be quite powerful (the TDi put out arounf 150 horsepower) so it is not a slow car. It may be in a different state of tune for this one mind you.

I would look at comparethemarket and gocompare to start with but I wouldn't do too many more as this can start to affect the price oddly enough.

If you do this, do these searches in a Private Browser tab on your computer to stop the different search sessions picking up that the other is being used - they use the cookies to see what has been searched for and often tweak their answers based on what they find.

Since the mobility scooter is part of the reason for the choice I would try to fit it into the car before making a decision on whether to buy it. The tailgate looks on par with a hatchback so there may not be enough headroom to get it in. Also the weight of the scooter could make it impractical to lift in on your own.

You also need to work out how to secure it in the back to stop it sliding side to side and bashing the bodywork or smashing the windows. Are there points to strap it down?

Ultimately it may make more sense to hire a more suitable car for an adventure that has a tail lift and ways to secure the scooter.

The Polo is a bit small but the Golf is a good size - I had one for many years (2.0TDi) and it was a great workhorse and easy to work on.

Did you ever get the turbo sorted out on your current car by the way?

• How much would she be to insure?

I would get online quotes for insurance for this - the 2L diesel can be quite powerful (the TDi put out arounf 150 horsepower) so it is not a slow car. It may be in a different state of tune for this one mind you.

I would look at comparethemarket and gocompare to start with but I wouldn't do too many more as this can start to affect the price oddly enough.

If you do this, do these searches in a Private Browser tab on your computer to stop the different search sessions picking up that the other is being used - they use the cookies to see what has been searched for and often tweak their answers based on what they find.

Since the mobility scooter is part of the reason for the choice I would try to fit it into the car before making a decision on whether to buy it. The tailgate looks on par with a hatchback so there may not be enough headroom to get it in. Also the weight of the scooter could make it impractical to lift in on your own.

You also need to work out how to secure it in the back to stop it sliding side to side and bashing the bodywork or smashing the windows. Are there points to strap it down?

Ultimately it may make more sense to hire a more suitable car for an adventure that has a tail lift and ways to secure the scooter.

The Polo is a bit small but the Golf is a good size - I had one for many years (2.0TDi) and it was a great workhorse and easy to work on.

Did you ever get the turbo sorted out on your current car by the way?

Children