What’s the Most Unexpected Skill You’ve Learned?

Come on, let's have some fun in the Miscellaneous and Chat forum! All of us acquire a variety of skills during our lives, but occasionally they can be rather surprising. Which of your acquired skills has surprised or intrigued you the most, and how did you learn it? Please share your experiences and any fascinating backstories on your talents, whether they are quirky, useful, or something you never imagined you'd be able to accomplish. It excites me to learn about the varied and surprising abilities that people have acquired over their journey.

Parents
  • Which of your acquired skills has surprised or intrigued you the most, and how did you learn it?

I learned to make victorian corsets from scratch.

Not through choice mind you but as a way of helping my wife with her start up fashion business where she was doing a range based on corsetry.

It is a very involved task with lots of cutting of delicate fabrics (silk and lace), really tough stuff (the metal strips in place of whalebone take some effort ro snip), careful sewing to make sure there are no rough seams that will be against your skin and a fair bit of brute strength when it comes to fitting them,

The fitting was quite entertaining, squeezing some very large ladies into corsets with bits overflowing and popping out unexpectedly was a hoot - luckily they saw it the same way as I was standing there with one foot on the floor, one on their back and leaning back to pull the laces tight on the corset.

• Which of your acquired skills has surprised or intrigued you the most, and how did you learn it?

I learned to make victorian corsets from scratch.

Not through choice mind you but as a way of helping my wife with her start up fashion business where she was doing a range based on corsetry.

It is a very involved task with lots of cutting of delicate fabrics (silk and lace), really tough stuff (the metal strips in place of whalebone take some effort ro snip), careful sewing to make sure there are no rough seams that will be against your skin and a fair bit of brute strength when it comes to fitting them,

The fitting was quite entertaining, squeezing some very large ladies into corsets with bits overflowing and popping out unexpectedly was a hoot - luckily they saw it the same way as I was standing there with one foot on the floor, one on their back and leaning back to pull the laces tight on the corset.

Children
No Data