Whats the difference between a sport and a passtime or hobby?

It seem that the boundaries are becoming very blurred, with more and more things becoming classed as sport and having a competitive edge. What is the differnce between a game, a sport, and a passtime or hobby?

Parents
  • There's always Country Sport. :) 

• Thanks Iain for citing a dictionary, like none of us could use one ourselves. How about you engage with the discussion and ask open ended questions istead of closed ones?

What's country sport? Do you mean hunting, shooting and fishing?

• . How about you engage with the discussion and ask open ended questions istead of closed ones?

You asked a question and I answered it, explaining the difference and even citing an example based on your recent activity on the forums.

I didn't realise I was being expected to ask questions - it was not clear at all that this was your intent.

However, in light of this new information, do you think that a sport (such as hunting of fishing) which kills creatures in their natural habitats is something that should be classed as a hobby, persecution or something else?

• . How about you engage with the discussion and ask open ended questions istead of closed ones?

You asked a question and I answered it, explaining the difference and even citing an example based on your recent activity on the forums.

I didn't realise I was being expected to ask questions - it was not clear at all that this was your intent.

However, in light of this new information, do you think that a sport (such as hunting of fishing) which kills creatures in their natural habitats is something that should be classed as a hobby, persecution or something else?

Children
  • I don't have a problem with hunting for the pot, I do have a problem with the unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible, as Oscar Wilde so eloquently put it. I don't see why these activities are classed as sport, they don't seem very sporting when the sportsman is so heavily armed against the prey, there seems little fairness involved. I think trophy hunting is barbaric and shameful, why is killing a beautiful animal thats doing you no harm seen as sporting or a game? Like I say I don't have a problem with huntiing for the pot, I do have a problem with blasting specially reared birds from the sky in organised shoots where most of the birds are so full of lead as to be inedible. I also have a problem with the meat eaters who can only accept the meat they eat is in clean cellophane packages from the supermarket and squeel and get upset when it's pointed out that its an animal they're eating, probably one of the cute, fluffy ones.

Sorry Iain I was feeling a bit peevish, I just hoped that you'd come up with something brilliant, sorry.

So why are some things games, others sports and some passtimes?  Particularly games and sports, is it a level of competitiveness, leagues or what? What would it take for something like snakes and ladders to become a sport rather than a game?

Are things like breakdancing a sport or BMXing? I'm not saying that either are bad things, but just asking why  they're suddenly a sport and what makes them so?

• It was meant to be a joke!

I'm pretty sure it was criticism rather than a joke - a joke is likely to be humerous or have a winking face to indicate it isn't serious. I detected neither in the reply.

• It was meant to be a joke!

But, yes, Country Sports are Hunting and Fishing.