Skating

Does anyone else enjoy skating. I have started going to a quad roller skating group (discos!). I also now go to an in-line skating group which goes out into the parks in the better weather. I've always enjoyed ice skating although don't go that often as I could never find skates that didn't hurt my feet.

I find skating wonderful exercise and it is especially good for developing the 'core muscles' in the stomach area as well as strengthening the legs and improving the balance.

I have not been to any classes but in typical Autie or Aspie fashion I can learn by teaching myself and can now skate backwards.

Parents
  • I like skating. I started going to the local skating a few months ago - I take my 7yo boy. It's good because we get to spend time together without mum and little sis, it's our thing. I liked it as a kid too so it's nice to share that with him. Also, I would have felt far too out of place to go on my own. I was encouraged to go by the fact that a life long friend of mine (whom I don't see enough of for many years) goes with his daughter. It then turned out that another guy that a know from when I was a teenager goes with his little girl too. So it is now the highlight of my week. Unfortunately I can't always go due to my general state of health. My friend has noticed that my boy doesn't act like the other kids there. (_Not_ news to me) He said had I considered my boy might have Aspergers or something? It's almost funny if it wasn't spot on. I am pretty sure he is on the spectrum just like I'm pretty sure I am. One diagnosis at a time though. It doesn't seem to be causing my boy any great difficulty (yet) so it seems more important to get me sorted first as I'm in  a right mess. Then I'll be able to help my boy out better in the long run. Does that make sense?

• I like skating. I started going to the local skating a few months ago - I take my 7yo boy. It's good because we get to spend time together without mum and little sis, it's our thing. I liked it as a kid too so it's nice to share that with him. Also, I would have felt far too out of place to go on my own. I was encouraged to go by the fact that a life long friend of mine (whom I don't see enough of for many years) goes with his daughter. It then turned out that another guy that a know from when I was a teenager goes with his little girl too. So it is now the highlight of my week. Unfortunately I can't always go due to my general state of health. My friend has noticed that my boy doesn't act like the other kids there. (_Not_ news to me) He said had I considered my boy might have Aspergers or something? It's almost funny if it wasn't spot on. I am pretty sure he is on the spectrum just like I'm pretty sure I am. One diagnosis at a time though. It doesn't seem to be causing my boy any great difficulty (yet) so it seems more important to get me sorted first as I'm in  a right mess. Then I'll be able to help my boy out better in the long run. Does that make sense?

Children
No Data