Skating

Does anyone else enjoy skating. I have started going to a quad roller skating group (discos!). I also now go to an in-line skating group which goes out into the parks in the better weather. I've always enjoyed ice skating although don't go that often as I could never find skates that didn't hurt my feet.

I find skating wonderful exercise and it is especially good for developing the 'core muscles' in the stomach area as well as strengthening the legs and improving the balance.

I have not been to any classes but in typical Autie or Aspie fashion I can learn by teaching myself and can now skate backwards.

Parents
  • It's suprising how many people do go ice skating on there own and they tend to be quite friendly. sometimes the more experienced skaters will give helpful advice like what you got, one guy was showing me how to glide properly and another time someone told me to put more weight on the front of the blades for backwards skating which does help a lot. like you say it's so nice when someone interacts, it's another reason why I like to go there!! I've had roller blades in the past and I really like the idea of it but it scares me more than ice skating because I live on a hill and it goes too fast downhill, I never managed stopping or slowing down with skates, at least with ice skating it's flat, smooth, easier to stop and as long as the blades are sharp they grip the ice!

• It's suprising how many people do go ice skating on there own and they tend to be quite friendly. sometimes the more experienced skaters will give helpful advice like what you got, one guy was showing me how to glide properly and another time someone told me to put more weight on the front of the blades for backwards skating which does help a lot. like you say it's so nice when someone interacts, it's another reason why I like to go there!! I've had roller blades in the past and I really like the idea of it but it scares me more than ice skating because I live on a hill and it goes too fast downhill, I never managed stopping or slowing down with skates, at least with ice skating it's flat, smooth, easier to stop and as long as the blades are sharp they grip the ice!

Children
No Data