Skating

Does anyone else enjoy skating. I have started going to a quad roller skating group (discos!). I also now go to an in-line skating group which goes out into the parks in the better weather. I've always enjoyed ice skating although don't go that often as I could never find skates that didn't hurt my feet.

I find skating wonderful exercise and it is especially good for developing the 'core muscles' in the stomach area as well as strengthening the legs and improving the balance.

I have not been to any classes but in typical Autie or Aspie fashion I can learn by teaching myself and can now skate backwards.

Parents
  • That's wonderful Mason. I keep meaning to get a book. I have been trying to get the hang of forward cross-overs and can do them on the roller skates but haven't quite got the nerve on the ice. At the weekend I went ice skating and was trying to turn around and skate backwards (nearly falling on my nose) and a man came up to me and started giving me hints, telling me to keep looking up and lean back. It was difficult with so many people there but then about twenty minutes later a little boy said to me 'your doing well'.

It made my day that two people spoke to me! I'm sure for Neurotypicals they wouldn't be thinking about how great it was that two people interacted with them. If someone had said something critical or nasty it would have stayed in my head forever the same way as those two people's comments will.

I went quad skating too at the weekend and again it was so nice having the staff that work there speak to me and just come out with the occasional encouraging comment. One of them was showing me how to turn from forward to backward on the roller skates and I got the hang of it - going very slowly though. It seems to be as much about adjusting your balance for so many of the moves.

• That's wonderful Mason. I keep meaning to get a book. I have been trying to get the hang of forward cross-overs and can do them on the roller skates but haven't quite got the nerve on the ice. At the weekend I went ice skating and was trying to turn around and skate backwards (nearly falling on my nose) and a man came up to me and started giving me hints, telling me to keep looking up and lean back. It was difficult with so many people there but then about twenty minutes later a little boy said to me 'your doing well'.

It made my day that two people spoke to me! I'm sure for Neurotypicals they wouldn't be thinking about how great it was that two people interacted with them. If someone had said something critical or nasty it would have stayed in my head forever the same way as those two people's comments will.

I went quad skating too at the weekend and again it was so nice having the staff that work there speak to me and just come out with the occasional encouraging comment. One of them was showing me how to turn from forward to backward on the roller skates and I got the hang of it - going very slowly though. It seems to be as much about adjusting your balance for so many of the moves.

Children
No Data