Were your parents demanding/pushy ?

My parents were the opposite of so called ‘tiger parents’. The type of parents who throw a hissy fit if their child fails to come 1st in every class. My parents were very indifferent when my academic performance nose dived around the age of 9.5. It’s hard to tell which is worst ‘tiger parents’ or parents like mine were.

It should’ve been a red flag to investigate what was going on, as my intelligence level was significantly above my academic performance. Executive functioning becomes increasingly important when it comes to how well a person does academically.
It being a better indicator of academic performance than IQ in school age children.

Mine wasn’t,and still isn’t, good. That's not at all surprising  given there's never been any help and support for it.

Parents
  • I am sorry that your parents were indifferent.

Mine weren't pushy, but also weren't indifferent either. They knew there were subjects that I really struggled with, and subjects that I was reasonably OK with. As long as I worked to the best of my abilities, got my homework done, and didn't end up in trouble at school, they were fine.

Whilst they had encouraged me to learn to read at a very young age, I think it was fairly obvious to my parents that although I read books aimed at much older children, and seemed mature for my age, I was never going to be a Grade A student and savant.

• My parents were both very intelligent , but for differing reasons chose to not go to university. My father was from a lower middle class background. He got a scholarship to King Edward's Birmingham . My mother was raised from the age of 7 by her mother. Her mother had worked as a nurse. My parents met while working at the Foreign office. They weren't the kind of parents who thought girls were just baby making fodder. Out of my brother,sister, and me, my sister is the one who's done  best in life. The only one who's got anywhere near job wise to how my father did. She's the only one of us with a degree.

• My parents were both very intelligent , but for differing reasons chose to not go to university. My father was from a lower middle class background. He got a scholarship to King Edward's Birmingham . My mother was raised from the age of 7 by her mother. Her mother had worked as a nurse. My parents met while working at the Foreign office. They weren't the kind of parents who thought girls were just baby making fodder. Out of my brother,sister, and me, my sister is the one who's done  best in life. The only one who's got anywhere near job wise to how my father did. She's the only one of us with a degree.

Children
No Data