Cookie options

Does anyone else get really fed up of going to a web page to look at something only to be confronted by a big page about cookies and whether you want them or not? Some pages have these options at the bottom and I can have a quick scan to see if the article is what I want, but so often it's across the whole page and I hav to go through reams of crap only to find that its not what I wanted. I wish more sites would have a reject all cookies option as it's first option rather than having it hidden away somewhere at the bottom of the page of options. I dislike it so much that I often just ignore the page entirely and find something more user friendly thats actually going to tell me what I want to know rather than give me all this faff. Why do they all assume that we want them following us about the place, why not just be able to bookmark the site or something if it's something we're going to use often?

Parents
  • I wish more sites would have a reject all cookies option

You can do this through a technical step that you may want someone to help you with (I recall you are not the biggest fan of tech). In effect it is something called an Add-In to your web browser (I think you said you use Firefox) called Consent-O-Matic which will automatically reject cookie requests from any website.

It is free which helps.

Adding it can be done in a few steps and takes about 2 mins from what I have seen.

There is a good article about the origins of the cookie consent prompts and how many companies now ignore your choice or trick you into approving them using something called "datk patterns". The lack of enforcement of the GDPR regulations that led to the prompts means the companies can ignore it with impunity.

The article is https://www.wired.com/story/avoid-cookie-popups-gdpr/

The browser companies are steadily working to kill the need for cookies though which is refreshing.

• consent o matic works pretty good. this is how I manage:

Only ever use firefox mozila browser, in private browsing mode (set from within Firefox preferences). 

I add the adblock, privacy badger, and ghostery extensions.

I use ONLY duckduckgo as a search engine with above setting and extensions in place.

Cut siri out of the my digital life entirely via system settings ( I have to keep doing this as siri keeps finding ways to reengage).   

Run ALL external server traffic through redundant end to end encryption via a robust private VPN service that costs me just 50$ a year. It is very user friendly.

Good hunting!

• Run ALL external server traffic through redundant end to end encryption via a robust private VPN service that costs me just 50$ a year. It is very user friendly.

Which VPN do you recommend? I tend to use Proton as it is free but is quite limited and does not allow P2P traffic in free mode - not that I use such things of course <cough>.

• Run ALL external server traffic through redundant end to end encryption via a robust private VPN service that costs me just 50$ a year. It is very user friendly.

Which VPN do you recommend? I tend to use Proton as it is free but is quite limited and does not allow P2P traffic in free mode - not that I use such things of course <cough>.

Children