Basic lifestyle

On reading  the threads here it comes across very strongly that I have a very basic lifestyle compared to the rest of you. It mainly consists of internet,watch TV, eat and drink. It's a lifestyle aimed at reducing stress. I sometimes feel  set apart from the rest of you, not because of anything untoward said. My social communication skills are nowhere near as good as the rest of you. Social communication being separate from verbal ability. Having both ASD and schizoaffective/schizophrenia  doesn't help.

Parents
  • I would say on the whole you're describing the vast majority here, myself included. My days are filled with music, drawing and dolls. Sometimes I might watch a movie if my attention span is in a good enough state. 

I think everybody else is much the same. 

Some go to work or school, are mums and dads, but still fill their time with internet, TV and eating and drinking.

You literally summed up my parents lives when I was little :) 

I'm sorry you have schizoaffective/schizophrenia. I know how hard that can be to live with. I hope you're getting the support you need. 

• Thank you. Apart from some breakthrough paranoia the sz-a/sz  is in remission. The bullying related trauma,severe social anxiety, and physical health problems are bigger issues nowadays. I've had some rather crap treatment over the years from mental health  services, but can't fault my current mental health team at all.

I moved to be near my 'daughter' and her family. She arranged the move including talking to the mental health team here, and demolishing some long held  falsehoods about me. From what I've read it's very common for those of us  first dxed with SMI and then sometime later with ASD to have been treated less than well by mental health services. 

In my case I was seen in a negative light, and treated as though I had a major character defect, because I didn't fit the expected pattern of being uniformly good,average, or poor at things.

I've recently had several  people from the FB high IQ community suggest that I may have ADD. That was based on things I said. Such as difficulty prioritising when it comes to multistep tasks. Days when it's as though there are 20 different channels on at the same time ,each showing a different programme. Being more focussed/concentrating on things I like than those I 'm not interested in. 

I have good support from my daughter and my granddaughters. They help me a lot.

I have always been a bit of a TV addict, but watch less than I used to. There's more choice nowadays, but a lot of it is absolutely awful.

• Thank you. Apart from some breakthrough paranoia the sz-a/sz  is in remission. The bullying related trauma,severe social anxiety, and physical health problems are bigger issues nowadays. I've had some rather crap treatment over the years from mental health  services, but can't fault my current mental health team at all.

I moved to be near my 'daughter' and her family. She arranged the move including talking to the mental health team here, and demolishing some long held  falsehoods about me. From what I've read it's very common for those of us  first dxed with SMI and then sometime later with ASD to have been treated less than well by mental health services. 

In my case I was seen in a negative light, and treated as though I had a major character defect, because I didn't fit the expected pattern of being uniformly good,average, or poor at things.

I've recently had several  people from the FB high IQ community suggest that I may have ADD. That was based on things I said. Such as difficulty prioritising when it comes to multistep tasks. Days when it's as though there are 20 different channels on at the same time ,each showing a different programme. Being more focussed/concentrating on things I like than those I 'm not interested in. 

I have good support from my daughter and my granddaughters. They help me a lot.

I have always been a bit of a TV addict, but watch less than I used to. There's more choice nowadays, but a lot of it is absolutely awful.

Children
No Data